Thread: Flag Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 6th February 2022, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG86 View Post
Flag etiquette is a veritable minefield. To fly the white ensign by a non commissioned ex warship would require a special dispensation from HM via MOD. I suspect they requested it and it was granted on a number of conditions, namely the vessel is part of a recognised UK military related charity, the ship is maintained in good condition and timings of flying the flag are agreed, all in all not to bring disrepute upon HM. I can only assume that the submarine is run under a different organisation within the dockyard and as such only qualifies as a UK registered vessel for which all craft are free to fly their national maritime ensign.
She was treated as a special case due to the untiring work of Sid Anning, who worked his socks off and inspired a number of us CA-Class veterans to assist in raising an enormous amount of money and an unbelievable amount of public interest in her before Sid took her case to parliament, which resulted in Cavalier being transferred to The Historic Dockyard, Chatham for preservation. You can see the 1999 Navy News entry at https://issuu.com/navynews/docs/199906_cavalier

Before that she had been left swinging round a buoy at Southampton before being moved alongside and opened to the public. I took my son to visit her and found that she was only partly open with much of her deemed 'unsafe for the public'. She was later towed to Brighton marina, then to the North East before Sid's hard work paid off and she was finally towed to Chatham.

How quickly we can forget.

Alick