View Single Post
Old 24th July 2018, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Help! I am now surrounded by angry croquet losing come-over vegetables. Variants of the domesticated Manx Triffid. They all thought the sea journey was an insurmountable obstacle until Bob put them right.
The sea was a barrier to those lovely little Triffids, although not to their spores.

I may have misread you. I thought you were referring to that awful film of the book made in 1963. In which the problem was solved in the end when it was found that seawater dissolved Triffids and the human race won out in the end.

Not quite like the book … which I recently read is still in print, more than half a century on, and is still looked on as one of the great post apocalyptic stories.

A boot in the guts for author John Wyndham who I imagine was still recovering from another of his classic books 'The Midwich Cuckoos' which they renamed insanely for the film 'The Village of the Damned.' That was a pity because the film was quite faithful to the book, and didn't resort to a silly Hollywood style ending (not John Wyndham's style at all.)