View Single Post
Old 4th May 2017, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
I came out of the pub one night and got into the Mini as my car keys were on the house key ring. I was about to start it when I felt one of those leather glove things on the steering wheel, and realised it wasn't my car !!! I got out and hastily locked it.

I looked around for my Mini and couldn't see it, so I wondered if whoever's this one was had driven home in my car. I walked home to find my Mini on the driveway, I hadn't gone out in it in the first place !! (I know I know drinking and driving is a no no but this was a long time ago and technically I wasn't doing it, I was just confused ... (cough))

I pondered on the idea that if whoever owned that Mini in the car park hadn't fitted that steering wheel glove, I might have driven his car home !!! Thus not only would I have been drinking and driving, but car stealing as well !!

Didn't say a lot for security back in those days, but then you could buy a whole bunch of car keys off a rack in Halfords back then.

I'd just like to say I don't drink and drive, or ride. But I'd be fibbing a bit if I said I never did it in the 60's and 70's. (Bikes went faster after a couple of pints.)
Must have been a common BMC thing ! As I had a friend that was getting married and I was looking after her car and house, whilst she went on honeymoon. After the wedding reception, I got in to what I thought was her car, an MGB GT. All the keys fitted. When I looked back ready to reverse out, I noticed a brolly on the back seat> As I did not own a brolly I knew something was wrong ! Looking further down the road her car was a bit further along the road ! Oops