View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
My car during the very early eighties.

Maybe not exactly a classic, bog standard 850. Served me well though. This pix taken at Llanberis carpark.

They served many people well, Bob - me included if only for a short time. Back in the late '60s, I was doing work on my main car and bought a cheap old mini to save riding my pushbike to work. The mini was painted Post Office yellow and had things on it like ....don't laugh....chrome eyebrows over the headlights, wire mesh covers over them as well, Rally type seat covers and a set of Minilight wheels (or is that Minilite?). It drove ok but had lots of rusty areas. When I didn't need it anymore, I stripped and repaired the body and put one of those complete fibreglass flip fronts on. I then painted the car..... Ford Aubergine with a Ford Light Orchid roof......sort of purple and pink!!...it looked pretty good and I kept the Minilite wheels and the rally formed seat covers. It's the only car I ever sold for more than it cost me. I went to a local car show yesterday and there were several supercharged Minis with really well engineered installations. The Mini is definitely an icon.

JJ.