View Single Post
Old 5th June 2017, 12:57

XJC.

Hi Roy, the pic you put up recently showing the non production Jag XJ coupe was interesting - I never knew of it's existence before. Looking at it on the X300 (I think?) body, it doesn't look so good as the Series 2 coupe, more like just a 2 door saloon to me.

The Series 2 coupe was always my 'fantasy' car back in the day, and in 1986 I was able to get one. As usual with the cars I bought it needed work. The interior and mechanics were good but the bodywork needed a lot of welding on the parts that usually go. To cut the story a bit shorter, I had to fit new inner/outer sills, front wings, rear wheel arch and lower rear quarter panels. To this end I had to buy a MIG welder and this work took about a year to complete, with more grinding than welding as it took time for me to become proficient.
While doing that I made up my mind that the project was going to be more resto-mod, than bring back to original. I had seen another XJC with the chrome bumpers removed and a fibreglass front and rear ends fitted, at a car show and the fellow agreed to make me a set from his moulds.
My car was maroon with the obligatory vinyl roof, so to keep it just one colour I decided to spray it black. I'd done many re-sprays over the years so the painting was no problem but the labour in getting the car prepared was arduous and time consuming. Gloss black has to be so meticulously prepared as it shows every imperfection.
When the car was ready, I tried to contact the bloke about the fibreglass mods, but couldn't get him. With the front and rear bumpers not having very good chrome, I decided (years before it became popular by Chip Foose), to modify the existing bumpers to 'hug' the body closer and to paint them so they gave the car a more modern look (to me , anyway!). This entailed cutting the front one in two, shortening and adjust the curve at each end. The rear was a three-piece one any way but a cut and shut was needed there also but ending in a one-piece unit. More scabby welding and grinding!!
My Jag was a 4.2 and not the 5.3 V12, but it turned out a lovely car to drive but still only 12 to 15 mpg - maybe nearly 20 on a long run.

Pics here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cars jag 028.jpg (128.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg cars jag 027.jpg (157.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg cars jag 026.jpg (234.6 KB, 14 views)