View Single Post
Old 7th January 2023, 15:35

Would that be anything to do with the famous telephone line ashore, a vital duty for the R/O!

A story told to me by Ron "Motorbike" Griffiths, C/S: Senior officers in Blue Funnel used to take their cars with them to OZ until there was, inevitably, a fatal crash. About three were killed and another two hospitalized. The Master did his nut, as he was undermanned and had to borrow officers off another Bluey that came in. Personal vehicles were immediately banned and rental cars were also frowned on!

Ron told me the story as I had asked him why he was known as "Motorbike". He took his motor bike with him and got permission to sign off in China. He then rode the bike back to Wallasey! Well, unfortunately, he only got as far as Lime St. in Liverpool as his bike broke down and he had to get the train to New Brighton, leaving the bike parked up in the station. It turned out that there was a hole in the piston! He was a real character and one of the "good" C/S, always turning out good food and bond for all.

Rgds.
Dave