View Single Post
Old 7th January 2023, 23:26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makko View Post
Hi Phil,

I finally received, read and enjoyed many aspects of your book. The way it was, even though I only was active in BF at the bitter end. While many may think aspects were exaggerated, I can confirm from mates that it was how it was! Ringbolting, Aussie Coast etc. I only ever got to the Middle/Far East, US West and East Coast, Panama, Suez. I always have regretted that I never docked in the 'Pool/B'head, to invite my Dad aboard. Indeed, I never touched a UK port, being on Barber Blue Sea, out of New York.

Take care and enjoy your retirement! Maybe you can take your Royalties down for one last night at Ma Gleason's or another dive!

Best Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave, thanks for your comments re. my book and glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
It definitely wasn't exaggerated for effect. If anything, I toned it down a bit, as even I wasn't game enough to relate some of my experiences.
When I set out to write it, I was determined not to gloss over anything and make it as factual as I could, while not dropping any of my shipmates in it.
Unfortnately, Ma Gleasons, the Snake Pit, etc. are long gone, as is most of the Auckland waterfront as we knew it, sadly.
I came across Motorbike Griffiths a few times on the Blue Funnel catering shoregang but being a boy rating, I never really got to know him. Heard that he was a good guy though.
Once again, thanks for your comments and support re. my book. Very much appreciated.

Regards Phil