Thread: Language!
View Single Post
Old 4th January 2018, 19:02

When I first started working at a Devon Community College looking after the IT equipment I was surprised that most IT lessons seemed to be about learning how to use software such as word processing/spreadsheets/publishing etc etc, and no actual computer science.

Learning to code definitely gives you a better insight as to how computers work, the lower the level of the code the better, (although much more tedious.)

But this changed as the years passed and coding became part of the syllabus, much enhanced by younger teachers who came in with a better background. For me decades ago the introductory code was good old fashioned versions of BASIC (Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) much beloved of those early (now quite comical) computers. That was a good introduction to coding techniques and structures and in time you would transit to the likes of 'C' and all it's derivatives and even approach the dreaded 'Assembler' if you wanted your program to fly on the old 486 series of processors.

But modern CPU's and compilers mean you get the speed even from High Level languages. Probably no need to worry about low level manipulations, although I've been retired six years now, so I'm pretty much out of touch, especially considering how fast it is all moving.