View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2020, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gamblin View Post
A lot of the parts positions in the instructions are vague and, even at this late stage, I find that parts numbers are incorrect in the plans.

Hi Makka,

I may be teaching you to 'suck eggs' but I have always used photo references (from books & mags) as a back-up in case the kit instructions are vague or incorrect. I guess that the kit manufacturers can't always get everything right. An excellent job by the way.

Regards
Alan G
Thank you Alan for the compliment.

I tend not to have time to investigate as much as I would wish.

The origin of this project was that I had my eye on the kit due to the size. However, in Mexico, it cost more that 300 pounds! Checking on the net, it was not a preposterus mark up. Then, early last year, I was in Santiago de Chile and I had a bit of free time. I duly looked up "model kits" and found a HUGE hobby store (almost superstore) about 6 Km from the hotel. They had the kit at about 150 pounds!

My left knee was in very bad shape, I was on the midnight flight direct to Mexico City and, being summer in the southern hemisphere, was very hot. Well, you may as well wave a red rag at a bull!

I am glad that I undertook the kit because there are a lot of subtle differences between small scale and large scale. Regarding the latter, the exorbitant amount of paint (and therein cost!) to successfully complete. I went with aerosol cans for the upper and lower surfaces.

BTW, I work with and am friendly with Tony Greenland's son who lives/works in Santiago. Any modellers who are into "ultra detail" armour models will immediately recognize the name! The mud on the tyre treads is a nod to Tony!

Best Regards,
Dave