Thread: Boilers
View Single Post
Old 15th August 2020, 17:42

Duty Mess Boiler, AKA Geyser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
My favourite boiler was the Burco in the Duty Mess, far more reliable than the ones down the engine room.
On the 12-4, we used to filch bacon, eggs and bread to enjoy sarnies at 0400. The eggs were left to boil in the duty mess "geyser". The only person who regularly used the water was the Leckie who only did daywork at sea. The Leckie was a strange person and didn't socialize with anyone.

Anyway, one fine morning, we forgot about the eggs. Several days later, a plate with festering boiled eggs on was left on the bar with a note saying "WHO HAS BEEN BOILING EGGS IN THE GEYSER". The Chief said the Leckie was "very upset" because the underlying sulphur taste had spoiled his smokoe and could we please stop doing it.

So, properly chastised, I set out to "upset" the Leckie again. I set up an empty alarm as "Low Level Egg Boiler".

On the next standby, C/E and Leckie present, me on the controls, 2/E and J/E show up too. I then set the alarm off. C/E went to have a look and muttered something about never having seen it before. He turned to the Leckie and asked him to please check the sensor. When the Leckie looked at the alarm, he turned a deep purple colour and started shouting and stormed out of the ER. Everyone was laughing but after the hilarity had subsided, Bill Turner, the C/E, put on his sternest face and told us that it was the end of practical jokes on the Leckie.

We later learned that the Leckie stormed off to tell the Master whose first reaction was to laugh his head off! The C/E was summoned and he solemnly made the peace with the Leckie and told him that there would be no more tricks. He also told him to lighten up.

It seemed to relax the Leckie and afterwards he loosened up and became a good shipmate. Next trip, I was having a beer with him and he started laughing, remembering the stunt. He admitted that it was rather good and asked us to not remove the "alarm"!

So, if you are onboard Cape Henry, ex Barber Priam, let me know if the LL EGG BLR alarm in the CR is still there! PS: I also altered the alarm schematic to include the alarm in the right place.

Rgds.
Dave

Last edited by Makko; 15th August 2020 at 17:45.