View Single Post
Old 1st March 2022, 00:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G View Post
Thanks for the update - Sounds all well organised.
What part is HMAS Adelaide, and her crew, playing?
Adelaide with her crew and presumably the troops who embarked in Australia are parked offshore. Too far off to see what is happening but as far as I know they are not getting runs ashore but they are parked up close to Atata Island, one of the small resort islands devastated by the tsunami. I have heard or read that the inhabitants of Atata were evacuated so it;s possible bods ex the Adelaide are cleaning up on the island. Chain saws and water blasters are very much sought after items at the moment. I have just returned from the fish market with a 3 kg slab of tuna so the deep sea fishing vessels are out again. The Health Department advise inshore fishing is not advisable because of the "ash". Adelaide me reminded me of two incidents from 60 years ago. First, the Andes on a West Indies cruise. The adverts said the ship had recently had aircon installed. Well, they forgot to put it in the crew accomodation. The only nights I slept in my bunk were the channel nights, rest of the time was on deck. Second was on the BP Supervisor when we ran aground on the Goodwin Sands. Had to spend several hours cleaning out the cooling water intake(s) with our bare hands, huge number of condoms, no vinyl gloves in those days.