Thread: Mystery
View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
There are strange things done -- When I was about 15 years old I was in the army cadets at school and we had a signals platoon with a couple of different field radios. One saturday morning I was operating an "18" set (normally a two man operation) just walking down the street comunicating with our base when a little old lady came bursting out of her house complaining to me that she could hear me on her TV set. Not too up on the technicality but understand there can be induction when a signal is powerful enough at close range to overcome set frequencies?
I can think of a couple of likely causes, firstly you were breaking through into the audio amplifier in the TV receiver, which would have been an AM set and so using the same modulation system as your WS18. Secondly, a lot of TV sets or the era had a 14MHz IF, so anyone close by transmitting on 14MHz or a sub-harmonic like 7 MHz could breakthrough on the TV upsetting the picture and/or sound. I'm sure others will have other explanations. The WS18 wasn't the best of British design, it covered 6 to 9 MHz and only had to be used over a short distance, so harmonic suppression wasn't that great I would guess.

Cheers

Roger

Last edited by Meridian2013; 23rd February 2018 at 09:00.