View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Then I went into farming, the advert asked for a cowman and offered a house. That was me lost to the real world for about 15 years. Simply not possible these days, but I really do feel that, leaving the sea, I then married the land.
I did it the other way round. I was born and raised on a farm where my Dad was a cattleman. I enjoyed the life, but was encouraged to "Get a trade." Served an apprenticeship as an Electrician in a jute mill in Dundee. During this time, I joined the RNR and spent many a happy weekend "playing sailors."

After finishing my apprenticeship, I joined BP Tanker Company and had six and a half very happy years there. Unfortunately, there was an oil crisis in 1974/75 when many ships were being laid up. Lucky for me, this coincided with the start up of the Forties field by BP, and I got a free transfer. Working offshore was very much like being on a ship, only difference was that we didn't go anywhere!

Made redundant at the end of 1995, and got a job in Australia on the North West shelf. That job lasted 18 months, and when I came home, I got a job with AMEC in Aberdeen on BP work!

Now retired and trying to take it easy, if my Wife will let me.