Thread: Windows V Linux
View Single Post
Old 29th June 2018, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I have a mini PC that I would like to install Linux on. Can anyone give me some tips as to finding where I have left the damn thing?

As time marches on and the years condemn. I have found it essential to plan very carefully where I store things away in case I forget where they are -- or even forget what they are. This works except upon the occasions where I put things in the wrong store and then, after a year or three stumble on them and wonder (a) WTF is that? and (b) what did I buy that for? That is not necessarily a bad thing though because it is an intellectual challenge to stimulate a failing memory and resist the memory loss of dementia (although it has no discernible effect on memory loss due to alcohol).

I have though learned that when seeking something that I know I had and can't find in my store categories, it will either have been taken by the ghosts that haunt my house and delight in hiding my things in which case it is beyond recovery. Alternatively it will be a spare computer hard drive or something kept as a possible essential spare and which somehow turns up in a box labelled "Assorted nuts and bolts" two weeks after I have bought another one.

That is the real world sadly where inanimate objects have evolved to hide from human users, and are hostile to the extent that when you rediscover one it will cut your finger getting it out of the box. Its power supply will be in another box and be unidentifiable among the dozens of others accumulated over time but never labelled. It will not bear any indications of what its power supply should be, and all those sorts of things yearn to be martyrs, so plugging it into the wrong supply chosen at a guess will burn your house down!

Sadly, FJ, I can only suggest that you buy another mini-PC and try to remember where you put it the last time you used it. Good luck with that!