View Single Post
Old 28th October 2022, 12:03

My great-grandfather's family were Protestants from South Armagh (somewhat endangered species in recent times) but his sons seemed rather more secular, more likely to worship the British Army than any imaginary deity. All saw active service and one became a Regimental Sergeant Major.

My mother's family were nominally Roman Catholics but her step-father was nominally Protestant. I never saw any of them visit a church of any denomination whilst I still lived at home apart from attending family weddings or baptisms. However, having lived an entirely (thoroughly) secular life, when the Grim Reaper came on the scene when they were in their mid-80s, in turn both my grandmother and my mother suddenly decided that they should hedge their bets and became fervent supporters of their local R.C, church and welcomed home visits from Father McNally or whoever for several weeks prior to their deaths. Their souls departed our earthly company with the accompaniment of a Requiem Mass.

Needless to say, neither I nor my brother and sister were greatly impressed by this late change of behaviour and we continue to maintain our scepticism on the entire subject of superstition dressed up in fancy dress.

__________________________________________________ _________________________
Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.

Last edited by Ron Stringer; 31st October 2022 at 10:44.