View Single Post
Old 10th September 2021, 05:27

Wet steam lubrication

I have received a post on this subject. The Manchester museum people state that this process was used in ships. I must admit I have never heard of it anywhere.
Here's the guts of the message: -

WEBINAR: The pros and cons of wet steam lubrication, online, 27 September
Join us in helping the UK’s Science and Industry Museum (Manchester) work out whether wet steam lubrication is right for their steam engines.

The Details

The UK’s Science and Industry Museum, Manchester (part of the Science Museum Group) has asked the Big Stuff community to help them work out an innovative plan for operating their steam engines in their newly designed Power Hall. They want to create a display that is exciting, informative AND environmentally friendly. However, their steam engines use large quantities of water which get contaminated with lubricating oil and have to be jettisoned as waste. So they are interested in using wet steam lubrication for the engines, but want to see how it works in practice and whether it will translate to the museum situation successfully.

Whether you have experience with this method or are just interested in knowing more please join us for a great debate. More information is available here and schematics of the proposed gallery plan and steaming plan are available at this link.

27 September | 8-10pm AEST