View Single Post
Old 25th April 2017, 09:06
Super Moderator

Voyage 26 Northern Star Episode Seven

Friday 6th December 1968

Weather cloudy, temp 57f. Gave Ray Dyer the key of our front door that I still had to give to mum when he got back home. Had landfall dinner for NZ. I had Turkey and sprouts and roast potatoes with Banana Fritters and Golden Syrup for Sweet. I am flying up to Auckland now. Bill said it was a long trip by train, and weather sounded bad having heavy rain and landslips. Put the clocks forward 30 mins.

Saturday 7th December 1968

Weather cloudy temp 56f. Packed today sent four cases by train along with trunk and chest to go by train. Sea rough. We had steak and chips tonight and mushrooms, started off with prawn cocktail. Clocks put forward an hour to put un on NZ time which I think is 12 hours ahead of home.

Below is information given to us, which I will re-type because it will not scan well.

INFORMATION REGARDING ARRIVAL AT WELLINGTON

The vessel will arrive in Wellington Harbour on Sunday 8th December and the following is the arrival procedure as arranged with the Port Authorities.

The Immigration and Customs Officials will board the vessel in the harbour at around 8.30 a.m. and passengers (including children) landing in New Zealand must proceed to the Forward Lounge via the forward stairway, entering by the port side door, having with them their ‘Passenger Arrival Card’ and ‘Baggage Declaration’ completed and signed, together with their passports. Directions to proceed there will be given over the broadcast system when the Officials are ready. Please do not assemble until asked to do so.

Before entering the Forward Lounge please separate your ‘Arrival Card’ and ‘Baggage Form’. The first table is Immigration and the yellow ‘Arrival Card’ should be handed to the Officer. After this has been checked, proceed to the next table to have your passport stamped. Finally, proceed to the forward end of the Lounge where Custom Officers will be in attendance. Your Customs Declaration must be handed to one of these Officials and duty (if applicable) paid.

BAGGAGE DECLARATION
A separate declaration form is required for each passenger except children under 18 years of age accompanied by a parent or guardian. If the children are accompanied by both parents, the declaration is to be made by the father only.

The duty free allowances on cigarettes etc, and spirits are as follows:

Up to 200 cigarettes OR up to half a pound of tobacco OR up to 50 cigars.

AND One bottle (reputed quart) of wine

AND One bottle (reputed quart) of spirits.

Duty and sales tax where applicable are payable on quantities in excess of these amounts.

PASSENGER’S ARRIVAL CARDS

This is the yellow card which you will find attached to your ‘Baggage Declaration’.

BANK OFFICIALS

Bank Officials will be in attendance in the Forward Lounge

LIBRARY

Passengers are requested to return books to the Librarian before 5.00 p.m. today.

BREAKFAST

Breakfast will be served at the following times on the day of arrival. 1st Sitting 7.45 a.m, Second sitting 8.30 a.m. Children 7.00 a.m.

BAGGAGE

Passengers are advised that there are no porters available at Wellington and all baggage other than light hand items which they can carry themselves ashore, must be ready for removal from cabins by 5.00 p.m today. The Company’s Baggage Agents, Marris & Campbell Ltd, will be in attendance in the Forward Lounge to facilitate arrangements for forwarding baggage. Passengers holding letters of introduction to the N.Z Express Co, or other baggage agents may expect to find their representatives on the wharf. The N.Z. Railways have an office on the wharf, and passengers may check baggage through to destinations in New Zealand. Passengers for Auckland have already been advised on forward baggage.

NOTICE TO PASSENGERS PROCEEDING TO AUCKLAND

Details of arrangements made for transferring passengers and baggage are listed below and it is hoped that these will minimise the inconvenience caused.

1. Rail and air tickets will be available on arrival for passengers concerned.

2. Baggage to be forwarded to Auckland on Sunday 8th December must be cleared by passengers before handing to Marris and Campbell representatives in the wharf shed for transportation to Wellington railway station for shipment to Auckland. On arrival, the Auckland baggage will be available for collection by passengers up to noon on Monday 9th December, after which time any baggage will be removed to New Zealand Express Co baggage store in Auckland. The greater part of baggage ex ‘Northern Star’ will be shipped to Auckland on the 7.30 p.m train.

3. Any passengers not booked right through to Auckland should keep their baggage aside in order that it can be checked to the correct destination.

4. For rail passengers the following transport will be available from the Overseas Passenger Terminal, Wellington to the Wellington Railway station:

a. For passengers travelling Sunday 8th December per 4.30 p.m. train a City Council coach(red) will leave the Passenger Terminal at 3.45 p.m.

b. For passengers travelling Sunday 8th December per 7.30 p.m. train City Council coaches will leave the Passenger Terminal at 6.45 p.m.

c. For passengers travelling by air on Flight 476 at 2.05 p.m. on Sunday
8th December a City Council coach (red) will leave the Passenger
Terminal for Wellington Airport at 1.15 p.m.

5. In view of the New Zealand Customs regulations any baggage not cleared by passengers prior to their departure by rail or air on Sunday 8th December will be forwarded as soon as possible to Auckland under-bond through Messrs Marris and Campbell Ltd whose Auckland agents are the New Zealand Express Co where passengers should call to clear baggage concerned.

6. Any used portion of the Wellington/Auckland fare will be refunded and passengers should either call or post their steamship tickets to the Shaw Savill Line Wellington or Auckland.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR AUCKLAND AND SOUTH ISLAND PASSENGERS

AUCKLAND

Baggage railed to Auckland by the 7.30 p.m. train will be unloaded at No 1 Platform Auckland Station.

Baggage will not be forwarded by the 4.40 p.m. train.

Please put you address on the baggage slip before handing it to baggage Agents.

COACHES TO STATION AND AIRPORT

Messrs Higgs coaches coaches will now take passengers to the Station and Airport instead of City Transport as previously advised.

SOUTH ISALND PASSENGERS

The South island ferry to Lyttleton departs at 8.00 p.m. on Monday 9th December. Passengers may, if they desire, remain on board on Sunday night. It will be appreciated if passengers will advise their cabin stewards I they intend to stay.

Cabins must be vacated early on Monday as they may be required for passengers from the South island who will be joining the vessel early on Monday morning.

Sunday 8th December 1968

It is 0600. We have arrived in Wellington. I fly to Auckland today, my new home and life. I checked all my luggage through Customs okay, and caught the plane to Auckland. I had never flown before, but always watching aircraft flying over home into Heathrow or going there for a day out, so this was superb. I was so excited. It was a Vickers Viscount, and I had a window seat. John Wood and family were waiting at the airport and got to their place at 1530 (3.30pm)

Monday 9th December

Looked around with Sylvia Wood in the car, looks a lovely place. I will like it here.

Tuesday 10th December 1968

Went to the ANZ Bank in Symonds Street where I had transferred money to then to Queen Street. I got my cheque book at the bank

Wednesday 11th December 1968

I got job at Cornwall Hospital in Cornwall Park. Quite a long way from where the Woods lived, but I would look for digs closer by. I found digs with Mrs Lynch within walking distance of the hospital. Sylvia worked at Cornwall Hospital as a nurse and suggested I try a new trade. But I would look for a farm job after Christmas, not too sure about nursing. I only know farming, but fed up with that back on the IOW. Never did like it. All I wanted to do was go to sea, and my trip on Northern Star lived up to my dreams.

Footnote

What I did not know at the time was the temporary job in a hospital to earn a bit of money before finding a farm job would be the start of a medical career that grew and grew as the years went on, and was my way into the merchant navy with a trade returning to the UK in 1971 to join P&O.'s medical department.

The pictures below include myself in Fancy Dress looking and feeling a total idiot! Others show distance steamed and arrival at Wellington. My diary of the trip and pictures are of an era long gone, the golden days of 'line voyages'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (118.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Northern Star 006.jpg (175.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Northern Star 021.jpg (55.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Northern Star 047.jpg (106.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Northern Star 045.jpg (102.3 KB, 19 views)