View Single Post
Old 4th August 2019, 16:27

I think that the physical demands on the Engineer officers is overlooked. Maybe we just took it for granted! Starting off with the engine room temperature, many times 50 to 52oC. Even the most mundane of watch activity required an awful lot of effort, trudging around in a sopping wet boiler suit, pouring the sweat out of your boots and wringing out your socks after looking after a HFO separator. Making sure that the sweat didn't drip onto the log sheet, just where you were going to write! And then the maintenance, a change of ME injectors in Japan, 9 x 92 Kg., one set shipped off to MHI, one set into the engine and another to the stores. Rigging chain blocks, unseizing stuff, torquing down big ends, taking leads, grinding in genny and compressor valves, etc. etc.! But what about the satisfaction of a job truly well done. And it was the same for everyone, so no one talks about it. Just the job,"Hard working ship!, or "sweet job".

The other week, my garage door jammed and two outer hinges split. Even with a gammy leg (inner left meniscus), I didn't think twice about getting the welding set out and making good, lifting the door with one hand and taking off/fitting the hinge with the other. The only thing is, at nearly 57, I was knacked and everything seemed to take forever! "In the old days" it would have taken less than half the time! But, job well done! Give oneself a pat on the back!

Rgds.
Dave