View Single Post
Old 5th May 2017, 00:46

on my first trip on the elpenor 1955 ..when we had left the red sea in the real ocean after a day or two the sea was as flat as a pancake and on my afternoon break instead of getting my head down I decided that I wanted to see the porpoise/dolphins up close as they race ahead over our bow waves .so i walked down the foredeck on to the focastle head and looked over the bow 10 minutes later the bosun was there saying you alright lad ..why are you up here ?I said well is always been a dream of mine to see the things I read about in cooks voyages round the world .have i done something wrong ,no son he said thats what going to sea is all about but you don.t work the deck so you have to have permission.so come back with me .when we got back midships I was told that i had to see the captain in the saloon with the chief steward and the bosun.to be honest by now I was as nervous asa kitten
the bosun told the captain what I had said .looked at the chief steward and said did you not tell the catering staff that they were not allowed on the focastle. head chief just shook his head the captain was A K Hole a big man.he said then type it out and give to all the catering staff.I said sorry captain I just wanted to get closer .I understand that lad he said but the rules of the sea must be obeyed .but as you did not know them we will draw a line this time ok.yes sir as said .and that was it .it was later the bosun told me that the mate had seen me up there and called the captain .they had the feeling I was going to jump over the bow .so as not to frighten me they sent the bosun who was a soft spoken welshman to have a chat.so every day for a week the chief steward called me into his little office next to the saloon in the afternoon when I worked alone to shared cup of tea .I relised they were still worried about weather I had a problem until I assured them that I was fine .I sailed with A K HOLE 3 times on the 2nd trip at the first galley inspection he looked at me gave smile and shook his head.as if to say silly boy and as he walked past gave me a light tap on my shoulder.rules noted