View Single Post
Old 29th June 2021, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
I must say that the Ibn Abdoun never stopped at sea when I was 3/E or indeed C/E on her. The outfit has gone to the dogs.
We had been slow steaming from the Gulf out to Japan and were still way ahead of schedule, so stopped for the afternoon. Can't remember why the Old Man wanted to launch the Lifeboat - think it was the second mate, myself and a couple of the crew who went for a trip around the ship.

I've just posted 3 more of the Ibn Abdoun in the Gallery - 2 in Kuwait Dry Dock.

As J/E, I was on days in the Engine Room, Overhauling Valves on the Sea Chest. 10 minutes to 5 the 2/E says "Finish those in the Morning, see you in the bar in half an hour." (One of the better 2/E's ) "15 mins and I'll have them all boxed up" I say and finish the job.
About 6am I wake up with a strange movement of the ship, look out the port and find that the ship has re-floated in the night (was a problem with the drydock and they had to flood it to stop it capsizing) - luckily I had stayed to finish the valves, otherwise there would have been a bit of a liquidity problem in the ER!

In the other picture - rough seas, viewed out of the Engineers Office going back to the Gulf from the Far East, there is a big clue as to why it was to be my last trip - No Deck Cargo, even the Tween Decks weren't full - lots of Cargo had been cancelled at the last minute, while we were in Japan loading.