View Single Post
Old 13th April 2017, 11:48
Super Moderator

Portisheadradio GKA

I thought this maybe of interest to members.
During my working career I serve as a seagoing Radio Officer and a spell with HM
Government. I worked for 28 years with the Post Office and the after privatisation British Telecom.
I worked at Portishead Radio which was mainly known for Maritime communications.
However we also had an air radio section and handled communications for many carriers. A very diverse customer base, from international carriers to most of the UK’s charter/holiday companies. Also we operated point to point networks with aid agencies and numerous companies and private individuals. These being sited mainly in the African continent but we reached far and wide to Afghanistan and down to the Antarctic. I enjoyed this work and spent many of my watches on these nets.
I note now that many of the companies that were active up to 1998 when I took early retirement have now gone the way of many others. One which I was surprised to find had folded back in I think 2002 was Heavylift at Stanstead. We worked them on a regular basis and also their chartered Antanovs of Volga Dnper. There were several African based freight companies Gas Air later named Das Air and many others the names of which I cannot recall now. Many were 707 freighters and some DC10’s. Flying constant routes around Africa and returning often via Kenya with cut flowers. Many times on a wing and a prayer.
The paragraph below is relevant to my Avatar which shows a GKA aero console and me.

One of two similar consoles positioned side by side for aircraft and point to point/mobile RT communications.
Equipment as follows centre top just in view aircraft selcal unit. To the left two 360 degree movable log periodic aerials sited at Rugby. Below this 9 fixed frequency Rxs - some with pure aircraft freqs and others for aircraft/point to point/mobile stations. Below the Rxs left and centre two high speed tuning QT3 transmitters with if my memory serves me correctly output power between 5-10Kw. Next filter unit. Below left two units to balance Landline and Transmit receive path and use with simplex/duplex operation. An art form to set up at times. Two digital Racal Rxs then switching unit and filters for connecting to the Landline phone network with key pad below. PC with customer and aircraft information. Not visible to the left on the other console was an aircraft VHF system and printer for accessing Wx info and access to air traffic control centres and the Sita network. For some time we were a dedicated HF station for Eastern Airlines and handled traffic for many international carriers including American - El Al - Heavylift. Standby station for BA. Also for British Midland Airlines all UK charter companies and many European companies and freighters. Private jets. Also before the move to satellite we were the major comms centre for many of the worlds aid agencies - UN forces and many other mobile users.

Neville - Hawkey01