View Single Post
Old 5th September 2017, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey01 View Post
I do not have aids but now border line with the audio tests. Have a certain frequency band that is very poor. I am sure many of us - Engrs and RO's have similar problems.
I am afraid the TV does have to be somewhat louder than it used to be, especially with the mumbling they seem to love now.

Neville
Mine seems to be in the Nagging band - don't tell my dear wife!

Back in about 1970-71 I lived with my parents less than a mile from the main transmitters at Portishead. I sometimes delivered the Sunday Papers to the duty engineers there. (My parents are still there, the transmitters not) One day when I was alone in the house I could hear morse code clear as a bell (as a 15-16 year old I could still hear sine wave tones above 23 khz! Woof!) Searching all over the house I finally opened the airing cupboard to find that the morse code was coming from the hot water tank!
My theory to this day was that the skirting board heating - long length of copper pipe with aluminium fins was picking up the very powerful transmittions which were then being amplified by the hot water tank (which had no immersion heater) - Never heard them again.

Now after screaming main engine turbochargers and too hot to wear hearing protectors for a full watch, my hearing is not what - what? it used to be

I saw a program on TV recently - Abandoned Engineering, about the Russian Over the Horizon Radar - I remember on one ship, being in the Radio Room (chatting with the Sparky - I was too Ham Fisted with a soldering Iron to ever be one) when the Russian Woodpecker started making it's self heard - quite a spooky sound and I bet rather annoying to you guys.
Finally silenced by the Chernobyl Disaster. The transmitters were built near by, because of the huge amount of energy they needed.

Last edited by Lao Pan; 5th September 2017 at 15:09.