View Single Post
Old 17th December 2018, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
I suspect the Donald -- if he is like some other Americans -- hasn't a clue where the Cook Islands are. I once had occasion to call a company down in Maine on business and told the receptionist I was calling from Vancouver Island, Canada. She answered "Is that near Toronto?" I said "No - Its is roughly 3,000 miles West of there" There was no reply. I said "Do you know where Los Angeles is?" There was some considerable 'umming and 'arring, to which I replied "Well if you do know where Los Angeles is, Vancouver Island is approximately 1,800 miles North West of there." The young lady obviously didn't have a clue even as which way was up so I ended the call. If we told the Donald that the Cook Islands were approx 5,000 miles West of South America he would probably say that was fake news.

By the way, we are already at Orange button (38 knots) but Sir William ramped it up gently -- didn't feel a thing did you?

Bottom line -- don't worry. Join me on the bridge with your sextant -- we'll take our noon latitude the old fashioned way. With some Four Bells as a "chaser".
I used to get the same questions when I lived Stateside, Tom.

"Where are you from?"

"Torquay."

"Torrkwai?"

"No, Torquay. It's in England."

"Is it near London?"

"Only about three days by Stage Coach."