Thread: Spotless Sun
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2017, 06:23

I am in the satellite business in a way, as I run a cable-TV system and downlink the programming from geo-stationary satellites. My dish-farm has 12 antennæ at the moment. Twice a year, around the equinoces the sun falls directly in line with each satellite in the equatorial arc in turn, the solar radiation obliterating all signals for around 15-20 minutes. This lasts for 4 - 5 days.
Although this has been happening since satellites were first placed in earth orbit the average member of the public is unaware of the phenomenon and doesn't even hear about it unless they watch cable-TV between 1100 and 1500 local time at their location.
Obviously non-geo-stationary satellites are affected as well but as they travel at 17000MPH the solar interference is momentary and obviated by the FEC methods used in the transport of whatever type of signal they are relaying.
It is entirely possible that a prolonged solar event could cause a more significant interruption of satellite signals which might well have catastrophic consequences for certain applications.