View Single Post
Old 19th June 2022, 15:27

In the mid eighties, I worked for a lay up squad in Bruneii Bay, (not BP) we had 2 Esso tankers rafted together Esso Saba & Esso Geneva, Geneva was about 308,000dwt. Rafted bow to stern, with both anchors out each end. Occasionally I had to check the Soundings on 3 ships in a day, which meant I used a semi rigid inflateable with an 85hp outboard to get round the vessels, rather than going on the main launch with the rest of the teams. (Normally it was between 1-3 men (depending on the routine being performed) on a ship for a day,

On arriving at the vessel, the craft would be secured to the boat rope at the gangway/boarding ladder, a boatman would stop on the launch, I would go up, do my job, couple of hours, then onto next vessel.

On the Geneva I was on the maindeck, doing my soundings, when I saw the boatman, walking down the deck from forward.

He had tied the boat to the anchor cable, clambered up the anchor cable, through the hawse pipe and onto the foc'le. I reckon it was at least 65' from the sea to hawse pipe. When ready to go, he clambered back down. Mind you the hawse pipe was of considerable diameter.

Back to the theme, I see no reason why a fit (and desperate)serviceman would have a problem going up a wire from the bouy to the F'cle. Through the hawse pipe may have been tight. As others have mentioned, it happens regularly in many parts of the world.