Thread: Ships in Movies
View Single Post
Old 4th June 2017, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
When I was a kid I was made up with the film version of Moby Dick starring Gregory Peck as Ahab. The other sea going film that impressed me was 'A Night to Remember' about the Titanic. Of course, being a kid and living the Midlands at the time I didn't know sh*t from a biscuit about ships, but I've seen both those films since and I'm still impressed by them.
The vessel used in the Gregory Peck version of Moby Dick was moored in Scarborough Harbour for a few years, she was the same vessel used in the film Treasure Island, the ' Hispaniola' was bought by Scarborough Council after that film was completed and moored alongside Vincent Pier as a floating Aquarium with tanks full of exotic fish not local to Scarborough (not at that time anyway), the Grid she sat on is still there. When she was sold on for the film 'Moby Dick' Tees Towing Tugs were used for the the Towing requirements which included the Whales, the Tug that was used was the 33year old VTE 'Kings Cross'.
There were two Whales used each 75ft long and were not an easy Tow for the Tug Crew, one broke free and after hours of searching was found aground in a Cove, the other was never seen again.

Last edited by Chadburn; 4th June 2017 at 10:57.