View Single Post
Old 28th April 2017, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
When the Ford Capri first came out they were the Mutt's Nuts. The local garage had one, everyone went to check it out. It then wasn't seen, apparently the man had parked it outside his house, slammed the front door of the house as he went in, the snow slid off the roof and flattened it a bit.

We had a technician with a 3 litre Capri, that was quite fast, to say the least.

Fast yep, John. I had 2. 3ltr Capri - a 3000E 1971 and the later shape 3000GT, and even though the latter had the uprated (slightly) Essex V6, the earlier one was faster 0-60. A bit lighter I suppose.
The later one was pinched outside my house and used in a ram-raid!! They also got my packed lunch for the morning shift!! I got it back in a sorry state but the insurance covered the repairs, including face-lift bonnet (hood) and quad headlight front end, in return for me doing the re-spray.
The Achilles Heel of the Essex V6 was the fibre toothed cam gear - it'd strip and wreck the valve gear. You could get an all steel one aftermarket though. Ford should have created a repair kit with that, new rockers, pushrods and valves. (lol)

JJ.