Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 13th January 2018, 10:21

of course it is...always was, always will be ha ha
Old 13th January 2018, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
Hi! Red.

The Reader's Digest explanation is that we do not have a refrigeration injuneer aboard, but the operative word is "injuneer". And, indeed, although Tmac might beg to differ, aboard ship it is not like departmentalised union jobs ashore, we (all the crew that is) have to have knowledge of all the systems aboard to some degree.

Most refrigeration systems are, as you indicated are electrical driven, but the end result is achieved by motion; either rotary, or reciprocal. The normal pecking order of things is that the "reefer" injuneer is part of the injuneering department, and under the direction of the chief injuneer, in this case, Tmac. It is thus necessary that Tmac have a more than general working knowledge of refrigeration, just as we "deckies" are required to have a knowledge of the limitations of the injuneering applications in general, whether it be the electrical or steam demand for winches, windlasses, cargo lights, pool heaters, injuns, fuel consumption, etc. Even the air conditioning usually falls under the durisdiction of the "reefer" injuneer -- but in the overall view, the buck does not stop with him but passes up to the Captain, then to the Commodore, and then to the Owner.

Deckies are also responsible for the condition of Fire Fighting equipment, the safe operation and maintenance of deck equipment, the loading and stability of the ship, above deck maintenance in general, the maintnenace of Lifeboat stores and launching apparatus, the maintenance of both standing and running rigging, together with the administration of pilotage and berthing requirements, plus the clearance of customs and other myriad and varying National requirements.

Now, in this day and age, 'ealf and safety expect us to be fully conversant with firefighting all the different classifications of fire, whether chemical, electrical, etc., and to also be well versed in industrial first aid.

Then everyone else expects us to actually get them to where they want to go!!!

And you thought all we do is stand on the bridge and drink rum.
Whew! Well, I am pleased to have all that out in the open. Thanks Tom, such a lot to learn about the running of the ship. I am pleased that I only have to worry about medical emergencies and the on board farm and garden. Also, 'ealf and safety, which, as we all know, is everyone's responsibility.

Is it too early for a glass of Dom? Anyone interested, I'm buying.

Vicki D
Old 14th January 2018, 03:49

Steward, a Bottle of Ice cold Dom for RED17 if you Please. put it on my tab if you will.
Old 14th January 2018, 06:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
Whew! Well, I am pleased to have all that out in the open. Thanks Tom, such a lot to learn about the running of the ship. I am pleased that I only have to worry about medical emergencies and the on board farm and garden. Also, 'ealf and safety, which, as we all know, is everyone's responsibility.

Is it too early for a glass of Dom? Anyone interested, I'm buying.
I'll be delighted to join you in a glass of Dom. The one thing we appreciate is your soft and gentle touch when it comes to 'ealf and safety. (You obviously haven't locqted Sister Eleff's stash of needles yet. You know the big old fashioned chromium plated ones they usually reserve for horses and other large ruminants.) Ooopps!! I think I might have let the cat out of the bag so to speak.
Old 14th January 2018, 07:06

ha ha ha... Most Hypodermical Tom....Cheers!
Old 14th January 2018, 09:58

Quote:
I'll be delighted to join you in a glass of Dom. The one thing we appreciate is your soft and gentle touch when it comes to 'ealf and safety. (You obviously haven't locqted Sister Eleff's stash of needles yet. You know the big old fashioned chromium plated ones they usually reserve for horses and other large ruminants.) Ooopps!! I think I might have let the cat out of the bag so to speak.
A horse is not a ruminant, Tom. Also, as you well know, we don't keep cats in bags anymore after we lost Simba in that unfortunate "sling some more coal on the fire" incident which made us all a little shy of red hot pussy.
Old 14th January 2018, 11:17

I missed that one!

McC
Old 14th January 2018, 17:18

Hell.

I've had a little go with H3N2
It's not so much the snot
as the urgent and watery poo
Projectile spew? I missed that slot

As I missed the party when the new year came in can we try a repeat please? (of the boozing I mean not the 'flu)
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 14th January 2018, 21:39

Glad to see you are up and well Varley.
O am sure we would all love a repeat New Years eve Party. I must have a word with Tom and arrange a suitable spot for us all get into the spirit of it.
Old 14th January 2018, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Hell.

As I missed the party when the new year came in can we try a repeat please? (of the boozing I mean not the 'flu)
What a relief, I was getting ready to sent out an MIA team to find you. Welcome back Varley.

Yes please Billie Boy, a New Years Eve party for Varley. Where are the balloons and streamers on emoticons when you need them. You will just have to use your imagination.

Vicki D
Old 14th January 2018, 22:02

Quote:
Thank you Tom for your kind words. I would like to remind everyone that it is nearly that time of year for you annual check-up's. I haven't decided though whether I will do these by age, i.e. oldest to youngest or alphabetically in reverse. Hmmmm, I wonder who it will be that I will make my first victim, oops sorry, patient.

Vicki D
Old 14th January 2018, 22:27

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Perhaps there will be volunteers to go first but I cannot break the habit of a lifetime of 'never volunteer for anything'.
I am still, after 47 years, trying to convince the YMs of the benefits of this habit.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 14th January 2018 at 22:30.
Old 15th January 2018, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
A horse is not a ruminant, Tom. Also, as you well know, we don't keep cats in bags anymore after we lost Simba in that unfortunate "sling some more coal on the fire" incident which made us all a little shy of red hot pussy.
Actually, we do keep cats in bags still -- we have the original aboard on the GD -- the Cat o'Nine Tails that is. So, Jeffers (Where the hell are you when we need you to beat to quarters?). Alll we need is someone to lash to the grating by the mainmast, and administer punishment according to the articles of war. (I think I have been reading too many Alexander Kent novels lately!)
Old 15th January 2018, 06:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Hell.

My dear Varley, we are leaving Copenhagen on the next tide (Why do Eskimos wash in tide? Because it's too cold outtide!)Heading for Gdansk in Poland to pick up contracted contraband --- ooppss - Cargo. With your explicit description of your need for number 2, you will be happy to know that Po-land was named for their consistent harvest of pos so there is one on every street corner. (In Gdansk they are known as Gzunders.)
Old 15th January 2018, 10:39

RED17...Do we make an appointment or will you be calling as as required? I have my innoculation booklet with me. I need an anti tetanus booster and an anti rabies jab. The usual yellow fever, small pox and anti social infection jab
Old 15th January 2018, 15:01

I am longing to be done alphabetically in reverse.
Old 15th January 2018, 21:40

So that Red17 knows where to inject her vaccinations, I had a dartboard tattooed in a strategic place in our last run ashore.
Old 15th January 2018, 22:24

Oh its a dartboard....I thought it was a spider web when I saw you in the Shower.......LOL (Its an age thing I guess)
Old 15th January 2018, 22:34

Varley's New Years Party

Now that we have left Copenhagen should we get our party for Varley underway. I am happy to defer medicals till after the party. Let me know what you think.

Vicki D
Old 16th January 2018, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
RED17...Do we make an appointment or will you be calling as as required? I have my innoculation booklet with me. I need an anti tetanus booster and an anti rabies jab. The usual yellow fever, small pox and anti social infection jab
I will need a full list of crew names, at least the ones that you know, including Squeak and Eric. I may need to call on assistance to hold Squeak down for me though, he was a bit of a handful last year. I have plenty of supplies for all the jabs you mentioned, including the anti social infection, it all comes as one jab these days. I would, of course, expect crew members to be clean and in uniform, please, no greasy, smelly clothes. There will be vouchers given at time of check up, these can be used in the bar for refreshments once everyone has had their drenching completed. Farmer John will explain.

Vicki D
Old 16th January 2018, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I am longing to be done alphabetically in reverse.
Being a coward at heart, I formally endorse that procedure.
Old 16th January 2018, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
I have plenty of supplies for all the jabs you mentioned, including the anti social infection, it all comes as one jab these days. I would, of course, expect crew members to be clean and in uniform, please, no greasy, smelly clothes.
Tmac will prove to be the exception to the rule: clean uniform is an oxymoron (something like army intelligence, and English cooking)as his one and only uniform is his old, tattered and torn, oil soaked, greasy coveralls. Mind you, there maybe a "trap door" on the seat whereby you can access the injection area.
Old 16th January 2018, 07:26

Wonder if she will do a short arm inspection to Tom. Bit shy about that me. Not my fault I was so far back in the queue when they were dishing it out.
Old 16th January 2018, 07:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Oh its a dartboard....I thought it was a spider web when I saw you in the Shower.......LOL (Its an age thing I guess)
I think I will be safe if she doesn't aim for double top.
Old 16th January 2018, 09:03

Quote:
Tmac will prove to be the exception to the rule: clean uniform is an oxymoron (something like army intelligence, and English cooking)as his one and only uniform is his old, tattered and torn, oil soaked, greasy coveralls. Mind you, there maybe a "trap door" on the seat whereby you can access the injection area.
Surely he has a suit of some sort that he can present in? I don't ask for much from him so is it too much to ask for him to present in a clean and tidy manner?

Vicki D