Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 22nd February 2019, 22:49

I think he mentioned Ralph as well and it sounded quite urgent. At least no-one who has seen the state of the heads can say he has a weak stomach, he hit the ceiling as well as everywhere else.
Old 23rd February 2019, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
There's no call for any BS. A?
"You can't roller skate in a Buffalo herd." Roger Miller.

Shouldn't that be "Buffalo TURD" ?? Difficult to get up to speed.
Old 23rd February 2019, 06:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I think he mentioned Ralph as well and it sounded quite urgent. At least no-one who has seen the state of the heads can say he has a weak stomach, he hit the ceiling as well as everywhere else.
My guess is that he's been taking salts --------- Somersalts!
Old 23rd February 2019, 06:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Tom will be down in a minute. He's busy staring at the map thingy and shaking his head on the chart room whilsy cursing the virtues of the Magnetic compass. Gave the ECDIS a thump in passing tooŽ!
Who the hell is the smart-arse that thought that because we are in Aus the chart should be upside down?? It was bad enough being upside down when it was the right way up, but after it got turned over, for a while there I thought we had a small scale chart of the South Pole. (I knew it had only been turned over recently as there wasn't a single stain on it anywhere.
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Come join me at the bar and I will tell of Marconi and of their many Crusaders, Commanders and Commandants E-S. Possibly not as famous as his Lordship, nor as involved in the gindustry but worth a hot toddy on me and a share of my plate of sandwiches. We told the chief plastico to arrange a plate for yourself too but he said you'd be too pissed to bother the cook with it after you were rescued from a facedown in the soup episode at luncheon.

Ah Varley, I can recall many's a companionable evening in the Smokeroom discussing the merits of the Crusader and the design foibles of the Foster Wheeler air register. Innocent times.
Our shipmates seem to be up and about, nothing like the smell of an Ulster Fry to settle a queasy tummy. As for the soup incident, I was very lucky the Potage Dubarry was neither deep enough to drown me or hot enough to scald me. Catering at its best.
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
I thought we had a small scale chart of the South Pole. (I knew it had only been turned over recently as there wasn't a single stain on it anywhere.

The only stain on the South Pole is Roald Amundsen.
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:27

And of the Howden rotary air heater and Bellini-Tosi loops. Look at that lantern swing!

I say, why are we one our own? Boring lot anyway, did I ever tell you of the time I...……………….
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:18

Yes you did. I know as much about HF/DF as any marine fitter turner alive today.
Most of the lads have taken to their bunks with colic, the scour, cramps and looseness; the Ulster Fry strikes again as it takes a man to attack potato bread and fried soda's. You, Tmac and me are the only hero's standing and T is dozing in the Steering Flat with his furry friends.
Anyway tell me that story again about the Chief burning out the rotary air heater on the Texaco Copenhagen.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:39

That one I don't know E-S, the Denmark I knew in her day but then not back to Texaco until after a return to school and then Spain and London when Hokushin and early INS was on my plate (only Hokushin by the forbearance of Ted Alford, not much welcomed below by others except for a brew and chat).

Stonehaven had one 'though and I did a little into ER venturing to try and fix the alarm for failed rotation (my solution was, unfortunately not proof against the temperature). It had, at least initially 'failed safe' so we knew the alarm was not working. Perhaps not the case on Copenhagen.

HF DF? - I must have been an alcoholic pontificating above my paygrade explanation. DF gets very messy once the skywave gets in on the act.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Anyway tell me that story again about the Chief burning out the rotary air heater on the Texaco Copenhagen.
HOI !!! I DID NOT... it wuz an accident and anyhoo I wasn't there and didn't see anybody because I was asleep in my bunk, ashore, on leave, in Barcelona... so there

Furthermore I am not asleep in the steering flat, I was merely resting my eyes after many hours studying the technical manuals on Gynecology... I'm considering a careen change as apparently I make a c*** of everything I touch

sniff sniff is that the aroma of an Ulster Fry I detect?... don't tell me ES has gotten off his arse at last and did something creative anybody seen the brown sauce?

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 24th February 2019, 06:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac1720 View Post
HOI !!! I DID NOT... it wuz an accident and anyhoo I wasn't there and didn't see anybody because I was asleep in my bunk, ashore, on leave, in Barcelona... so there

Furthermore I am not asleep in the steering flat, I was merely resting my eyes after many hours studying the technical manuals on Gynecology... I'm considering a careen change as apparently I make a c*** of everything I touch

sniff sniff is that the aroma of an Ulster Fry I detect?... don't tell me ES has gotten off his arse at last and did something creative anybody seen the brown sauce?
You know, Tmac, I don't know about those other two pontificating at each other -- they were too busy yakking to notice me quietly sitting there eating my cold dripping toast. Both of them getting lost in the exuberance of their own verbosity to notice much of anything else. So bring on the brown sauce -- it'll help with my toast. So will a black coffee laced with a liberal dose of Four Bells.
Old 24th February 2019, 06:47

Anybody "getting lucky" ashore??
Old 24th February 2019, 07:56

would'nt actually say lucky Tom. she's the most expensive I have ever had. Nice though!
Old 24th February 2019, 09:58

Oh, I've been lucky, I found a 10p piece. I ran all the way back to the GD hugging myself with glee. Nearest thing to a sexual experience I've had for years.
Old 24th February 2019, 10:03

Now a half crown and it would be a Christmas!

I do not lose myself in my verbosity I frolic in it. Frequently frantically.

As for Tmac and bigboilerbits. I should cocoa!
Old 24th February 2019, 11:25

A half crown or as we say in Ulster Scots, twa and a tanner. A Kings ransom when I was a youngfellow and if FJ had one he would head back ashore. Mucky Man.
Old 24th February 2019, 13:25

Surely failing, for whatever reason, in the wick dipping stakes is sexual experience as much as dipping of wick. It is just that it is not the sort of experience one would want to put on the CV.
Old 25th February 2019, 06:14

Just opened another case of Blue Pill's if anyone in need of a boost!
Old 25th February 2019, 06:20

Our shipmates CV's are so devoid of content that "Wick Dipping", could be regarded as a major achievement if not the highlight of an otherwise lacklustre career.
I think we should keep our distance from the ne'er-do-wells and consider moving bag and baggage back to GD1. What say you and Tmac? I fully realise it will be a bit of an upheaval and a degree of reluctance would be normal, perhaps we should be more charitable and give them a fools pardon. As Jacques Cousteau said as he led his brave redcoats along the Mexican border to sort out the trigger-happy Nazi immigrants, "Forgive them father they know not what they do".
Old 25th February 2019, 06:55

Quote:
Our shipmates CV's are so devoid of content that "Wick Dipping", could be regarded as a major achievement if not the highlight of an otherwise lacklustre career. .
This occupation of "Wick Dipper" reminds me of the recruiting sergeant for the Scottish Infantry.

1st recruit enters. Sergeant asks "Name?" Recruit answers "McCoy Sir". Sergeant asks "Occupation?" Recruit "Coke Soaker, Sir" Sergeant ---"What???? " Coke Soaker with the gas company, Sir -- have to keep the coke damp to control the dust."

2nd. recruit enters. Same process. "Name?" McCoy, Sir". "Occupation?" "Cork Soaker, Sir". "What???" Cork Soaker with the bottle company, Sir -- have to keep them damp so they hold tight in the bottle necks."

3rd. recruit enters. "Name?" McCoy, Sir". "Occupation?" Cock Sucker, Sir." "I beg your pardon???" "I'm the real McCoy, Sir!"
Old 25th February 2019, 07:08

Quote:
I think we should keep our distance from the ne'er-do-wells and consider moving bag and baggage back to GD1.
I haven't the faintest idea to whom you refer as ne'er-do-wells? I think all the crew aboard the GD2 always do very well, in all aspects of shipboard expertise whether it is in the execution of our duties, maintaining a high level of decorum ( other than at the "come as you are parties), treating our fellow female shipmates with the utmost respect (when they are here to be respected), remembering shipmates who have crossed the bar, and keeping the ship's bars operating on a very profitable basis.

I believe we all, except maybe for yourself, do very well when we are ashore. Perhaps you should see Sir William for some of his little blue pills??
Old 25th February 2019, 08:05

I detected a touch of liverish bad temper but upon mature reflection I think it may be a mild hyperglycaemia. May I suggest a breakfast of a lightly boiled egg rather than the obscene mountain of waffles and maple syrup you are so fond off. Colonial Fare is rarely kind to sensitive tummies.
Old 25th February 2019, 10:26

I should stop ogling those mature ones in the mirror if I were you E-S almost as bad as surfing to that webcam in the plasticos' ablutions. Personnel tell me you're down for relieving Chief on GD1 next trip (which will cover that festive period I must not name this early in the year for fear of finding myself onboard with you). That'll make you appreciate the devil you know.

(Ziss is de mowst amazin zing we ave seen zo far in ze voyages of ze Calip-zo)
Old 25th February 2019, 17:02

Quote:
Our shipmates CV's are so devoid of content that "Wick Dipping", could be regarded as a major achievement if not the highlight of an otherwise lacklustre career.
Alas young man the only reminiscence I have of "wick dipping" was many, many moons ago when I lost my wick into the depths of a well used oiler box that had seen generations of service in all conditions. I was a mere slip of a lad then experiencing a Black Bush for the first time.

As for jumping ship to the GD1, nah I'm happy where I am, you've seen one injun you've seen them all although it doesn't stifle your curiosity that one day you may find one unlike the thousands you may have serviced previously in your travels.

Squeek is too old to shift his gear now and Eric is only interested in his nuts. Nah I'm content with the crew here, good mates, comfortable bunk, three meals a day and a few bob in the pocket....... what more could you ask

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 25th February 2019, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac1720 View Post
Alas young man the only reminiscence I have of "wick dipping" was many, many moons ago when I lost my wick into the depths of a well used oiler box that had seen generations of service in all conditions. I was a mere slip of a lad then experiencing a Black Bush for the first time.

As for jumping ship to the GD1, nah I'm happy where I am, you've seen one injun you've seen them all although it doesn't stifle your curiosity that one day you may find one unlike the thousands you may have serviced previously in your travels.

Squeek is too old to shift his gear now and Eric is only interested in his nuts. Nah I'm content with the crew here, good mates, comfortable bunk, three meals a day and a few bob in the pocket....... what more could you ask
Indeed, Chief. As we used to say when I sailed under a Foreign flag, "Another day, another dollar."