Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > Navies > Royal Navy

Name Types

Old 12th July 2020, 21:01

Name Types

Someone sent me a transcription of her father's diary from his time on the aircraft carrier HMS Warrior in 1954. I've put that at http://brisray.com/dad/Smith.htm if anyone would like to see it.

Among the photos she sent were a couple of his name type which she still has. That got me interested in those things as everything about them, which isn't much, is scattered all over the internet. Name types were so common I don't suppose anyone gave them much thought but I've started a page about them at http://brisray.com/dad/nametypes.htm

Has anyone anything they would like to share about them? I'd be especially interested is anyone knows how they were made. For example, were the letters carved or stamped into the blocks?

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fallon-name-block-5-cropped.jpg (112.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg fallon-name-block-1-cropped.jpg (462.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 27th March 2021, 22:25

Hello Ray, crikey it takes me back, I still have my 1983 wooden name stamp from Raleigh. Mine is made upfront individual wooden letters in a block, I think they are machined not hand carved, unfortunately we had to paint the block black ( and put our name on it!), so I can't be sure of the construction.