Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Engine Room

Landlubber questions.

Old 29th March 2019, 11:56

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Landlubber questions.

As an old Railwayman Landlubber can I ask a couple of (perhaps stupid) questions, of some of the engineers on SH, please?

Assuming a reciprocating steam engineroom:

How are the various speeds 'full', 'half' and 'slow' etc defined? Is it by RPM which presumably (?) gives a more or less set speed?

Am I correct in understanding that marine reciprocating steam engines do not have 'cut off' on the valve gear (as in a locomotive) but only ahead/astern? On this assumption is engine speed controlled only by the boiler steam throttle/regulator valve?

Again assuming, on the basis that there is no valve cut off, the lost efficiency is more or less made up by compounding?

I have some steam locomotive knowledge but know little (nothing actually!) about marine steam.

Any comments will be appreciated, please.

Regards
Geoff (YM)
Old 29th March 2019, 16:01

YM, its 40 years since I did my Chiefs and things are a bit hazy, will check.
Old 30th March 2019, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
As an old Railwayman Landlubber can I ask a couple of (perhaps stupid) questions, of some of the engineers on SH, please?

Assuming a reciprocating steam engineroom:

How are the various speeds 'full', 'half' and 'slow' etc defined? Is it by RPM which presumably (?) gives a more or less set speed?

Am I correct in understanding that marine reciprocating steam engines do not have 'cut off' on the valve gear (as in a locomotive) but only ahead/astern? On this assumption is engine speed controlled only by the boiler steam throttle/regulator valve?

Again assuming, on the basis that there is no valve cut off, the lost efficiency is more or less made up by compounding?

I have some steam locomotive knowledge but know little (nothing actually!) about marine steam.

Any comments will be appreciated, please.

Regards
Geoff (YM)
Being a "deckie" who never sailed with reciprocating steam (only turbines & Doxfods) could any one answering the thread also elucidate on what happened to the steam/engine when stopped or in astern ?????
Old 30th March 2019, 12:45

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Chief ES and Deckie Tom.
To elaborate a little, my questions arose from a demonstration last Thursday 28/3 of a museum based two cylinder vertical steam engine, allegedly from a Murray River paddle steamer of the late 19th century, when the restorer repeatedly threw the valve gear (instantly) from 'full ahead to full astern'. I have to admit that the engine looked nothing like a PS engine to me but then I have no knowledge beyond the few Murray River paddlers having steam roller/traction engine machinery.
I always previously thought (still wonder) that this would not be good for the machinery and it was at this point when I asked about cutoff on marine reciprocating that the conversation became confused.
Regards and thanks.
Geoff (YM)

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 30th March 2019 at 12:49.