Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 26th February 2018, 07:12

TANNOY: Successful going ashore party being held in the Pax lounge. Ship's band muster there for free drinks and jam session. (Ah! the city lights of New York, and there should be enough sweet city women to arouse our interest. Of course we must not forget our own Sweet City Woman, Red ---a jereboam of Dom Perignon, well chilled awaits you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CPt3eSBJiQ

Better bring along a couple of plastic stewards to sing the "castrato" parts.
Old 27th February 2018, 06:09

Mr. McCloggie: It looks as if we will have some steady 30 knot following winds for the next couple of days, so please put us into the sailing configuration with topsails, lower and upper t'gallants on the forward and main masts. Spanker and flying and outer jibs should provide a nice balance.

The shanty "The North Atlantic Squadron" should help the cutouts haul on the halyards, braces and sheets.

"Away, away, with fife and drum, her we come full of rum" etc., etc.
Old 27th February 2018, 06:26

About to take my PC off line for a while, Till the engineer comes and moves my connection. Will try to keep up on my cell phone.
Old 27th February 2018, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
About to take my PC off line for a while, Till the engineer comes and moves my connection. Will try to keep up on my cell phone.
You get yourself balanced on your phone and we'll feed you a line over the stern, you can water ski.

Hope your reinstallation goes well.
Old 27th February 2018, 21:10

let me explain, we are about to have the old part of the house demolished, elevated and rebuilt. entire contents of house squeezed into the new bit. rough 3months ahead. will check the thread once in a while when i can. Tom,s the boss, follow his instructions and all will be well.
Old 27th February 2018, 21:42

I thought Sir William was going to be clapped in irons down the forepeak when he mentioned his "cell phone." Then I remembered our Transatlantic cousins don't call their mobile phones "mobiles!" I was worried that Sir William had transgressed the code of Omerta when questioned by shore authorities about our destination and cargo manifest.

Hope all goes well Sir, and the builders are better than the famous O'Reilly gang who worked on Fawlty Towers!
Old 27th February 2018, 23:07

Quote:
let me explain, we are about to have the old part of the house demolished, elevated and rebuilt. entire contents of house squeezed into the new bit. rough 3months ahead. will check the thread once in a while when i can. Tom,s the boss, follow his instructions and all will be well.
The very best wishes and good luck with it, Tom is a man we can trust, though he and I don't seem to get as many quiet drinks on the bridge as we used to. Tom, Dartskipper, a conference over some bottles?
Old 28th February 2018, 05:36

Quote:
Went through a major modification a year or so ago to do with my brain injured son's house -- so completely understand. At least, from the sound of it you shouldn't have quite the same level of flooding you had in the last couple of years, or so.

Onwards and upwards !!
Old 28th February 2018, 05:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
The very best wishes and good luck with it, Tom is a man we can trust, though he and I don't seem to get as many quiet drinks on the bridge as we used to. Tom, Dartskipper, a conference over some bottles?
Sorry, Farmer John --- I must admist I have been delinquent in my social duties to the navigation segment of our crew. By all means let us congregate in the chartroom for some Four Bells. (I don't think we have shown Dartskipper where we keep our secret stock? --- Under the International code flag "R" for rum in the flag locker.)
Old 28th February 2018, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
Sorry, Farmer John --- I must admist I have been delinquent in my social duties to the navigation segment of our crew. By all means let us congregate in the chartroom for some Four Bells. (I don't think we have shown Dartskipper where we keep our secret stock? --- Under the International code flag "R" for rum in the flag locker.)
Not to mention A for alchohol, B for booze, C for comforter...
Old 28th February 2018, 11:48

Quote:
NOT a job for an injuneer then, I'll send my mate Bob the Builder if you run into any problems.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 28th February 2018, 20:38

I think the denizens of the chart room should convene for some in depth discussions. As our voyage planning will be dependent on the performance and economy of our machinery, I think we should have our esteemed Chief involved too. So if we can run up a collection of flags to cover the breaking out of various brands of intoxicating bevvies, shall we all convene at Four Bells? I have instructed the head plastico to bring fresh glasses and a big bucket of ice.
Old 1st March 2018, 01:45

GD now in full sailing configuration as requested.

Sorry for the delay - have spent the last day travelling back to KL.

McC
Old 1st March 2018, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloggie View Post
GD now in full sailing configuration as requested.

Sorry for the delay - have spent the last day travelling back to KL.

McC
KL ?? For a moment I thought you were referring to Kharzi Land; -- had a spot of tummy trouble today and spent quite a bit of time in the Kharzi. OK now so in primie shape to visit the chartroom. You report there too Mr. McCloggie -- just let us know what your favourite bevvy is so we can place it in the appropriate letter disignation in the flag locker. I feel a definite thirst coming on!! Red you'd better come along too -- you too Varley, plus anyother people aboard remotely interested in the workings of this fine vessel -- or alternatively interested in what is possibly the only refrigerated flag locker afloat today.
Old 1st March 2018, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
I have instructed the head plastico to bring fresh glasses and a big bucket of ice.
Fresh glasses ?? Now there's a novel concept !!
Old 1st March 2018, 07:46

Quote:
Fresh glasses ?? Now there's a novel concept !!
Is the Jeroboam of Dom nicely iced Tom? I will give you the rundown about the Vice Admiral over a glass or two. It is good to be back on the GD and heading for New York. Not sure why we are going there but I am sure all will be revealed when the time is right to do so.

Now, where are my red dancing shoes, think I might need them tonight.

Vicki D
Old 1st March 2018, 09:57

The champagne is always adequately chilled, in the same way we are always suave and well-dressed (injuneers excepted).

This IS the Golden Dreamer.
Old 1st March 2018, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
The champagne is always adequately chilled, in the same way we are always suave and well-dressed (injuneers excepted).

This IS the Golden Dreamer.
HOI!!! I resemble that remark

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 1st March 2018, 22:53

Don't worry Chief, if you stop by the main companionway where the cutouts are sprucing up the paint on the lifeboat, you can get them to give your overalls a quick lick of white gloss. This will hide the oil and grease stains, and make them stiff enough to put a crease in the trousers. It will save time removing them and soaking them in a bucket of starch. They are using some newly formulated quick drying acrylic water based stuff with an aroma of Old Spice aftershave. Next week they will be testing some paint with that great smell of Brut, (as Joe Namath* used to say in the adverts.)

*Joe Namath was the star Quarterback of the New York Jets in the 1970's. He also advertised his own brand popcorn maker. Quite the celebrity was Joe in his day.
Old 2nd March 2018, 06:53

Quote:
Don't worry Chief, if you stop by the main companionway where the cutouts are sprucing up the paint on the lifeboat, you can get them to give your overalls a quick lick of white gloss. This will hide the oil and grease stains, and make them stiff enough to put a crease in the trousers. It will save time removing them and soaking them in a bucket of starch. They are using some newly formulated quick drying acrylic water based stuff with an aroma of Old Spice aftershave. Next week they will be testing some paint with that great smell of Brut, (as Joe Namath* used to say in the adverts.)

*Joe Namath was the star Quarterback of the New York Jets in the 1970's. He also advertised his own brand popcorn maker. Quite the celebrity was Joe in his day.
I must point out that the white gloss to which Dartskipper refers, is actually paint, and not the creation of our late Commodore Dom, who formulated a special drink called White Gloss, which was usually consumed along with Red Boot Topping at spcial functions. There are still some supplies left in the Bos'un's store under VERY secure lock and key.
Old 2nd March 2018, 06:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
Is the Jeroboam of Dom nicely iced Tom? I will give you the rundown about the Vice Admiral over a glass or two. It is good to be back on the GD and heading for New York. Not sure why we are going there but I am sure all will be revealed when the time is right to do so.

Now, where are my red dancing shoes, think I might need them tonight.
We have some very expensive paintings rolled up and disguised as burlap to deliver to New York. Apparently destined for some "private" museum??
Old 2nd March 2018, 17:49

Surely we wouldn't assist in the purloining of art? Oh, I see, that is a lot of money and, to be honest, the original of "Fry's Five Boys" is no great loss. And I have like those "Bulldogs smoking" very much. "The Recumbent Madonna with "Help me" Written on the Soles of her Shoes" is probably a fake

Shh! Say no more, it is a secret.
Old 2nd March 2018, 18:48

That isn't the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies under another flag is it? I thought that masterpiece by van Klompp was traditionally smuggled, ahem, transported around the World disguised as a very large Knockwurst, wrapped in burlap.
Old 2nd March 2018, 18:52

Quote:
I must point out that the white gloss to which Dartskipper refers, is actually paint, and not the creation of our late Commodore Dom, who formulated a special drink called White Gloss, which was usually consumed along with Red Boot Topping at spcial functions. There are still some supplies left in the Bos'un's store under VERY secure lock and key.
Apologies for that Cap'n. I hadn't gone back far enough in the ship's Log to discover that little subterfuge. Would those concoctions have any remote similarity to a bottle I found marked "Red Lead. (To be served at room temperature)?"
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:22

Quote:
Apologies for that Cap'n. I hadn't gone back far enough in the ship's Log to discover that little subterfuge. Would those concoctions have any remote similarity to a bottle I found marked "Red Lead. (To be served at room temperature)?"
Red Lead before my time --- although it sounds more like some concoction that Sister Eleff might have used on some condition a crew member picked up ashore -- something like Moby Dick.