Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > Historic Shipping Lines & Ships

Sidewheelers that could operate paddles independently?

Old 2nd February 2019, 16:37

Sidewheelers that could operate paddles independently?

Hello folks,
Newby here with an amateur passion for paddle steamers. I'm looking for info on the types of engine configurations in sidewheelers (any time between the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century) that could allow them to operate their paddle-wheels independently, including contra-rotating them or disengaging one while keeping the other moving.

I've heard this feature was found in paddle tugs of the period, but I don't know how the machinery was set up to allow this. I've also read mentions of certain American paddlewheel coasters using double-beam engines that could allow this system...

Any info on this topic would be appreciated

Last edited by Sawpatin; 2nd February 2019 at 16:50. Reason: clarified
Old 3rd February 2019, 06:35

Maybe someone else could post on this too, but when I was in my mid teens (circa 1955) I used to travel across the Thames on the Woolwich ferries quite frequently. There were glass observation windows so passengers could see into the engine room. I vaguely recollect there were two steam engines - one for each paddle so quite easy to operate the paddles in different directions.

Picture of one attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Benn (1).jpg (35.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 4th February 2019, 09:36
Super Moderator

Greetings Sawpatin and welcome to SH. Bon voyage.
Old 4th February 2019, 11:39
Super Moderator

Sawpatin

Welcome to SH. Good to have you aboard

You may be interested in the paddle tug below, Dexterous, which I took in Gibralta from Canberra during the summer of 1972. I have also uploaded her to the gallery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1902scan0032.jpg (212.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 6th February 2019, 23:57

I really must read things more carefully. I read it that you took the tug from Canberra to Gibraltar, you became a nautical hero for a moment.
Old 20th August 2019, 22:28

In most (side wheel) paddle steamers the simplest and most cost effective arrangement was a single engine connected to a single paddle shaft. Independent wheel propulsion was employed in special circumstances requiring exceptional manoeuvrability eg harbour tugs and ferries plying in confined waters. As mentioned this involved separate steam engines connected to each paddle or much later separate electric motors powered by diesel generators (eg Admiralty tugs). There were distinct disadvantages in operating with independent wheels in a seaway in that wheels losing immersion might cause engines to over speed. For this reason independent wheels could be connected via a common shaft fitted with a clutch mechanism.
Old 20th August 2019, 23:47

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
I was led to believe on board the Geneva based diesel electric PS Vevey that the two electric motors driving the paddles were theoretically controllable separately. I do not know if this is actually true (?) so don't anyone rely on this being the case without some corroboration, please.
Geoff (YM)