Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Vintage Vehicles, classic cars etc...

Fantasy car from the past.

Old 15th June 2017, 19:24

I would have responded before, but my WiFi modem failed last week, and I am now back on line.

Almost all surviving Jaguars are in decent condition, as all the old rust heaps have long gone to the scrapyard. The mechanics are reasonably straight forward, and most parts that need replacing due to wear and tear aren't that expensive. (Under British Leyland control, some parts came from the corporate parts bin, eg, I had to replace the steering rack on my 1984 XJ6 and it was the same part used on other BL models such as the Marina!) The most expensive work needed is on an engine rebuild. All XK engines leak oil, some more than others, and eventually the crankshaft seals have to be replaced, which means the engine comes out. Owners will usually get a full rebuild at that stage, as the engine will probably have done well in excess of 100,000 miles. If you look after all the fluid levels and use the correct old style anti freeze, the engines will go on for many thousands of miles. The most frustrating aspect of XJ6 ownership is the notoriously flaky air conditioning systems, They all leak, and eventually need replacing with reconditioned units. But all that is forgotten when you fire one up and take it out on the road. There aren't many modern cars that give the same quality of ride and performance.

Cheers,
Old 4th July 2017, 19:33

Would have met the criteria for a fantasy car from the past but unfortunately a bit past the Gaffa Tape repair, the two occupants got out and the only thing left to identify the make of car was the lettering on the brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (224.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 4th July 2017, 21:12

Bit of Tcut and some filler... no, perhaps too much.

Great day for Heywood, and I'm very glad those involved were OK>
Old 5th July 2017, 21:13

Rowan Atkinson had trouble with his MacLaren, too. It inadvertently steered into a tree near Oundle (near Peterborough) and did some seriously expensive modifications to the bodywork.
Old 5th July 2017, 21:16

Should have bought a Volvo, ... that way you get a bill from the Forestry Commission for their tree .... ...
Old 5th July 2017, 21:58

Tyres need to be carefully chosen. These should do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg everything.jpg (134.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 6th July 2017, 12:17

farmer john#36

yes I can imagine. The P5 B sedan and the P5B Coupe were identical up to the glass. From there the windscreens and door glass are different and the coupe model sits about three inches below the sedan. A lot of people think that the word coupe means two door. Not so, the word coupe is French for chop or cut which accounts for the lower roof line on the model. One of the nicest, IMO coupes is the jags from around the mid sixties.
Old 18th July 2017, 14:12

The Ford GT40.

One car that must fit-the-bill on here is Fords GT40. There has been so much written about these cars full details can be got off the interweb. Briefly, the GT40 was conceived, in the eary '60s, as an endurance racer designed to win such races as LeMans and Daytona24hrs, etc., and be Fords attempt to beat Ferrari. I had the book...'The Ford that Beat Ferrari,' which was a complete history including each car by chassis No.
The project started when H.Ford 2 wanted to buy the Ferrari make and have an American car win LeMans. The buying process fell through, which left HF. determined to build such a car. To cut a long story short, the project was a joint British/American effort, base on the Lola sports/racing car Mk6 chassis. Carol Shelby and John Wyer(Br. formerly of Aston Martin) led the project and formed Ford Advanced Vehicles Ltd. (FAV).

There is more I'd like to say on this later but just now (literally!!) the post has delivered me a copy of that book mentioned above!!! A present from Mrs JJ, obtained off Amazon for an undisclosed sum, for our wedding anniversary (55) on Friday. My original copy was bought for me, again, by my wife when they first came out in 1985. That one was sold at Sotherbys, Chester at the peak of their value in 2005. I regretted that.

JJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gulf Racing GT40.jpg (12.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 19th July 2017, 11:03

The Ford GT40.

Following on from my previous post....Wow, that book...it really was a surprise!!

Anyway, the GT40 got it's name from it being only 40 inches high. The original project was called just 'Ford GT' but as it materialised the '40' was added'. The cars were built in Britain, as we had the expertise in building sports/racing cars at that time, and a good base for the European races. with some shipped to the USA for races there. All the Mk2s went to the USA to be modified by Shelby and Holman & Moody, who were well known constructors of cars for NASCAR.
The engine in the Lola was Ford's 260cu.in.V8, modified for racing but in the new car it was found to be unreliable so the 289 (4.7ltr) was used, progressing through the development to the 302 (5.0ltr) and, in the Mk2 version, the 427(7ltr) motor from the racing Galaxie. All push-rod with cast iron heads.
In 1966, Henry realised his ambition to beat Ferrari at LeMans, with GT40's taking the first 3 places. They went on to win in '67,'68 and '69.
During the production of these cars, it was decided to build some road cars as well which were suitably modified and had quad headlamps instead of the square.

It was certainly my fantasy car in the late '60s/'70s but way far out of reach. Later they were selling to collectors for £millions. Many replica kit cars and fully built replicas started being produced but even these are very expensive. In 2005, Ford produced a new GT road car styled almost exactly like the '40 as a limited edition which is now a collectable supercar.

Back in 1969, I was driving through Much Wenlock in Shropshire when behind me came an orange GT40, the only original one I've ever seen on the road. It turned out to be owned by a lady from that town. The same car was at Oulton Park circuit when we were there a few years later. I got talking to her and got a real good look round the car - it was a race car(4.7ltr, chassis 1073), but road registered as many were.

JJ.
Old 19th July 2017, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Jack View Post
Following on from my previous post....Wow, that book...it really was a surprise!!

Anyway, the GT40 got it's name from it being only 40 inches high. The original project was called just 'Ford GT' but as it materialised the '40' was added'. The cars were built in Britain, as we had the expertise in building sports/racing cars at that time, and a good base for the European races. with some shipped to the USA for races there. All the Mk2s went to the USA to be modified by Shelby and Holman & Moody, who were well known constructors of cars for NASCAR.
The engine in the Lola was Ford's 260cu.in.V8, modified for racing but in the new car it was found to be unreliable so the 289 (4.7ltr) was used, progressing through the development to the 302 (5.0ltr) and, in the Mk2 version, the 427(7ltr) motor from the racing Galaxie. All push-rod with cast iron heads.
In 1966, Henry realised his ambition to beat Ferrari at LeMans, with GT40's taking the first 3 places. They went on to win in '67,'68 and '69.
During the production of these cars, it was decided to build some road cars as well which were suitably modified and had quad headlamps instead of the square.

It was certainly my fantasy car in the late '60s/'70s but way far out of reach. Later they were selling to collectors for £millions. Many replica kit cars and fully built replicas started being produced but even these are very expensive. In 2005, Ford produced a new GT road car styled almost exactly like the '40 as a limited edition which is now a collectable supercar.

Back in 1969, I was driving through Much Wenlock in Shropshire when behind me came an orange GT40, the only original one I've ever seen on the road. It turned out to be owned by a lady from that town. The same car was at Oulton Park circuit when we were there a few years later. I got talking to her and got a real good look round the car - it was a race car(4.7ltr, chassis 1073), but road registered as many were.
JJ.
That was my dream car too. In 1996 when Ford cleared the Field at Le Mans I, as a ford enthusiast, had only recently gained my second's ticket with all of the wealth that I imagined that would bestow. I dreamed of owning one and driving around Cowes on the Isle of Wight scaring the life out of the natives. Sadly not to be!
I see now that there are replicas on offer, but they are even more out of my reach now that the original was then. Apart from anything else, since the Green party (upon whose heads may blessings fall!) here in Ireland introduced a new motor tax regime based upon CO2 emissions, my 2 lite Mondeo costs me €750 a year in motor tax. What would I have to pay the tree huggers for a 4.7 litre GT40?
Old 19th July 2017, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART6 View Post
That was my dream car too. In 1996 when Ford cleared the Field at Le Mans I, as a ford enthusiast, had only recently gained my second's ticket with all of the wealth that I imagined that would bestow. I dreamed of owning one and driving around Cowes on the Isle of Wight scaring the life out of the natives. Sadly not to be!
I see now that there are replicas on offer, but they are even more out of my reach now that the original was then. Apart from anything else, since the Green party (upon whose heads may blessings fall!) here in Ireland introduced a new motor tax regime based upon CO2 emissions, my 2 lite Mondeo costs me €750 a year in motor tax. What would I have to pay the tree huggers for a 4.7 litre GT40?

Hi Art, nice to see you on here. I always thought that I would buy a cheap kit and build one but you are so right - even the crappiest ones from way back are too expensive now. Back in 2012, I had a '93 Ford Thunderbird with the 5.0ltr engine, which I would have used as a base car if I could find a body/chassis, but no luck.
The original GT40s were selling in 1966 for around £5K brand new, and they had a job to sell all their road cars. Now virtually priceless!! I think a firm called GTD(?) in South Africa bought all the jigs and stuff. They will build one with authenticated chassis Nos. following on, for an enormous price, if I'm thinking of the right company. Mind you, not really a daily driver - I think we would miss our creature comforts.......

JJ.
Old 28th July 2017, 14:06
Super Moderator

We had a light blue version of this back in the 50's. Always thought it was a lovely car. Very well finished and fitted for the era. Now seeing them - on the odd occasion - they were certainly very small. Made with an aluminium body. I also liked its big brother - the Renown.

Neville
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021 (Custom).JPG (264.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 28th July 2017, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey01 View Post
We had a light blue version of this back in the 50's. Always thought it was a lovely car. Very well finished and fitted for the era. Now seeing them - on the odd occasion - they were certainly very small. Made with an aluminium body. I also liked its big brother - the Renown.

Neville

One of my aunts had a Mayflower and it certainly seemed very 'posh' to me as a 10/11 year old. She didn't drive but my two cousins (17 and 18yo) used it to run her about. My uncle was away most of the time at sea and didn't drive either. The Mayflower and the Triumph Renown's were styled in the 'razor edge' look and quite limousine like.

JJ.
Old 2nd August 2017, 20:58

Seen today in Northampton.....

.. was not a Fantasy Car from the Past, nor was it a fantastic car from the past, but it was one of those that was a best seller in it's day. A British Leyland legend. A Mark 1 Morris Marina. In classic 1970's desert sand yellow brown, with a few rust patches in the usual places, (everywhere,) brown interior, and no hub caps. There was one subtle modification though. The current owner obviously has trouble with the bonnet catch, and has cured the problem with some strategically placed strips of silver gaffer tape.
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
........... The current owner obviously has trouble with the bonnet catch, and has cured the problem with some strategically placed strips of silver gaffer tape.
In Devon it would have been baler twine
Old 9th August 2017, 10:49

How about this resto-rod. Originally, a 1948 Tucker. (not a typo!)

JJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948_tucker retro-rod..jpg (78.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 9th August 2017, 22:57

They must have been looking over the shoulder of this mob.

http://www.carstyling.ru/en/entry/Bu...0/images/2951/

Designed by the bloke who did the R100.

Last edited by Farmer John; 9th August 2017 at 23:00.
Old 10th August 2017, 22:32

Buckminster Fuller designed the "Dymaxion" car in 1933.. Strange looking machine, but very modern for its time.

http://www.washedashore.com/projects.../pictures.html
Old 10th August 2017, 23:07

I would worry about a 3 wheel car that was intended to do 120 mph and carry 11 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yxFDvqALI

Last edited by Farmer John; 10th August 2017 at 23:18.
Old 11th August 2017, 01:50

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Daimler Petrol Driven Reitwagen - Replica

In 1882 Daimler set up a workshop in Connstatt near Stuttgart where he made internal combustion engines. Together with Wilhelm Maybach he produced small, transportable, petrol driven single cylinder engines.

To test the engine’s performance Daimler and Maybach installed it in a two-wheeled wooden framed affair in 1885. In November that year they took their Reitwagon on a 3 km test on the road between Connstatt and Untertürkheim.

Liquid cooled, 4 stroke petrol engine, 90 kg, 12 km/h, 264 cc, 8 litres/100 km

Dresden Technical Museum
15 July 2107
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2792_1(SH).jpg (599.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 11th August 2017 at 01:55.
Old 11th August 2017, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Daimler Petrol Driven Reitwagen - Replica

In 1882 Daimler set up a workshop in Connstatt near Stuttgart where he made internal combustion engines. Together with Wilhelm Maybach he produced small, transportable, petrol driven single cylinder engines.

To test the engine’s performance Daimler and Maybach installed it in a two-wheeled wooden framed affair in 1885. In November that year they took their Reitwagon on a 3 km test on the road between Connstatt and Untertürkheim.

Liquid cooled, 4 stroke petrol engine, 90 kg, 12 km/h, 264 cc, 8 litres/100 km

Dresden Technical Museum
15 July 2107
I have to be honest with you, I think the Suzuki looks just a tad better

... and this is now 27 years old, so moving toward a classic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (87.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 11th August 2017, 11:57

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
I have to be honest with you, I think the Suzuki looks just a tad better

... and this is now 27 years old, so moving toward a classic.

Agreed Bob - but a nice piece of woodwork in the Daimler.
Wouldn't want to get my wet weather gear or anything else for that matter caught up in the back wheel however..............
Old 11th August 2017, 13:48

Yeah ... that does look a bit like a leg mangler ..
Old 11th August 2017, 15:37

If you used it to just go down the shops, that would be an awesome mount. If it caught fire, you wouldn't have much left.

I would love one for a short distance runabout, though I suspect it would need a very extensive toolbox to maintain all of it.
Old 11th August 2017, 20:41

Belt drive to a wheel that is geared to drive the rear wheel.

Are you sure that Mr Heath-Robinson wasn't involved with the development of this fine piece of furniture?