Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Shipping Lines > Blue Funnel Line

Welcome to the Blue Funnel shipping forum.

Old 4th May 2017, 23:51

Tony

Sadly, you won't see a Bluie over the water- all gone now - we only have the memories and the pleasures of serving that splendid outfit.

Pat

Sorry to hear of your eye problems but pleased to learn of your progress. Take a look at the THFC New stadium website (inside the bowl) where you might catch a fleeting glimpse of yt during the day.

Had a birthday today and concluded that I'm getting old!!!

BW

J
Old 5th May 2017, 00:46

on my first trip on the elpenor 1955 ..when we had left the red sea in the real ocean after a day or two the sea was as flat as a pancake and on my afternoon break instead of getting my head down I decided that I wanted to see the porpoise/dolphins up close as they race ahead over our bow waves .so i walked down the foredeck on to the focastle head and looked over the bow 10 minutes later the bosun was there saying you alright lad ..why are you up here ?I said well is always been a dream of mine to see the things I read about in cooks voyages round the world .have i done something wrong ,no son he said thats what going to sea is all about but you don.t work the deck so you have to have permission.so come back with me .when we got back midships I was told that i had to see the captain in the saloon with the chief steward and the bosun.to be honest by now I was as nervous asa kitten
the bosun told the captain what I had said .looked at the chief steward and said did you not tell the catering staff that they were not allowed on the focastle. head chief just shook his head the captain was A K Hole a big man.he said then type it out and give to all the catering staff.I said sorry captain I just wanted to get closer .I understand that lad he said but the rules of the sea must be obeyed .but as you did not know them we will draw a line this time ok.yes sir as said .and that was it .it was later the bosun told me that the mate had seen me up there and called the captain .they had the feeling I was going to jump over the bow .so as not to frighten me they sent the bosun who was a soft spoken welshman to have a chat.so every day for a week the chief steward called me into his little office next to the saloon in the afternoon when I worked alone to shared cup of tea .I relised they were still worried about weather I had a problem until I assured them that I was fine .I sailed with A K HOLE 3 times on the 2nd trip at the first galley inspection he looked at me gave smile and shook his head.as if to say silly boy and as he walked past gave me a light tap on my shoulder.rules noted
Old 5th May 2017, 13:57

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony allen View Post
on my first trip on the elpenor 1955 ..when we had left the red sea in the real ocean after a day or two the sea was as flat as a pancake and on my afternoon break instead of getting my head down I decided that I wanted to see the porpoise/dolphins up close as they race ahead over our bow waves .so i walked down the foredeck on to the focastle head and looked over the bow 10 minutes later the bosun was there saying you alright lad ..why are you up here ?I said well is always been a dream of mine to see the things I read about in cooks voyages round the world .have i done something wrong ,no son he said thats what going to sea is all about but you don.t work the deck so you have to have permission.so come back with me .when we got back midships I was told that i had to see the captain in the saloon with the chief steward and the bosun.to be honest by now I was as nervous asa kitten
the bosun told the captain what I had said .looked at the chief steward and said did you not tell the catering staff that they were not allowed on the focastle. head chief just shook his head the captain was A K Hole a big man.he said then type it out and give to all the catering staff.I said sorry captain I just wanted to get closer .I understand that lad he said but the rules of the sea must be obeyed .but as you did not know them we will draw a line this time ok.yes sir as said .and that was it .it was later the bosun told me that the mate had seen me up there and called the captain .they had the feeling I was going to jump over the bow .so as not to frighten me they sent the bosun who was a soft spoken welshman to have a chat.so every day for a week the chief steward called me into his little office next to the saloon in the afternoon when I worked alone to shared cup of tea .I relised they were still worried about weather I had a problem until I assured them that I was fine .I sailed with A K HOLE 3 times on the 2nd trip at the first galley inspection he looked at me gave smile and shook his head.as if to say silly boy and as he walked past gave me a light tap on my shoulder.rules noted
Unadulterated nostalgia Tony - thanks for sharing it with us.

BW
J
Old 5th May 2017, 15:36

I was with Capt Hole in the Peleus, Tony. He was popular with the crew although seemed a bit of a tartar with the middies.
regards,
Pat
Old 5th May 2017, 16:26

will have to check my book in the loft with all my other bits and bobs while the house is being refurbished .I did 2 trips on the peleus ,elpenor had a great crowd thr'out but the P boats were the kings for me . did a real lifeboat drill in the middle of the indian ocean .that an other story cheers
Old 5th May 2017, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I was with Capt Hole in the Peleus, Tony. He was popular with the crew although seemed a bit of a tartar with the middies.
regards,
Pat
We probably needed it.
Old 5th May 2017, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony allen View Post
will have to check my book in the loft with all my other bits and bobs while the house is being refurbished .I did 2 trips on the peleus ,elpenor had a great crowd thr'out but the P boats were the kings for me . did a real lifeboat drill in the middle of the indian ocean .that an other story cheers
Tony,
We did lifeboat drill in the Indian Ocean outward bound on most Blueys. Usually lowered at least one boat into the 'oggin and let go.
On one ship, the Memnon, the captain was a radar enthusiast, Radar Robb, and after we set of in the boat he had the Memnon sail off into the far distance until we lost sight of her.
A while later, it seemed like hours, she appeared from an unexpected direction.
I heard later that he had his head buried in the radar hood the whole time and wanted to see how far he could travel before losing contact with us.
Well, it was a pleasant lazy afternoon for us boat's crew, better than chipping the mast house paintwork which is what the rest of the crowd were doing.

Best regards.
Pat
Old 5th May 2017, 21:58

lifeboat

mine was a disaster from the minute we were let go .and one the horizon she went i had my lifejacket on but only a chain breaker under so arms and neck exposed to the sun .forth mate 3 chinamen one middy peggy 2 abs 2 edhs.and what a palaver .toget the sail up took at lease a hour getting the oars and setting them up oh dear needless to say it was the very end of the day when we finally got back to her .I was burned to hell all were hungry so our was a cold meat platter and salad .but the the galley was still full of pots and pans to be done the 2ncook and ass cook had just left it all.you know what it was like when pans are left dry before washed .2 hours to finish and I was knackered .it was the next morning at wake up when the ab shook me look at my face and said bloody hell that I felt the burn . as you know they carried a doc on board the p boat wit 32 passengers but I had huge blisters on my shoulders and neck.arms was in agony so he slathered me all over with cream and put me in the spare cabin that was for the sick bay if needed it was at the end of the catering alleyway by the mess lounge normally it was locked so I had a day to myself just lying on the bunk in fruit of the looms on but felt i was on fire .the chef raised hell with the chief steward over it .so it was sweet that the 2nd an ass cook had to do all the pots and pans and get the galley ready for inspection .but it was back to work the next day but I never stepped outside for the next 2 weeks might have been captain wilkes??
Old 9th May 2017, 00:47

In my time, the only time we lowered boats was in port for a Lloyds survey. There had been too many accidents swinging a boat out when underway, the last being a very nasty incident in a Bay boat.

For us, it was the jeep that we carried on the Barber Priam, many a time up the road for hamburgers until we were sussed in Miami and sent back to the ship.

On one survey in Balboa, I couldn't get the lifeboat engine to start (Barber Memnon). I had Big Tony, who had been goalkeeper for the Sierra Leone national football team cranking her over. Finally dawned on me to drain the fuel system and prime. She started first time!

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 11th May 2017, 12:13

Interesting to see comments taking about old haunts, I Remember when joining the Laomedon seeing Vittoria dock full of Blue funnels. I served as Blue Funnel Engineer 1972 to 1982. Served on Hector, Kowloon Bay, Glenogle,Cardigan Bay, Laomedon, Obuasi, Degama, Centaur, Ajax and Anchises. Started as engineer cadet at Aulis and finished as 3rd Engineer. Settled in Perth Australia, and still working as a project director building hospitals.
Old 12th May 2017, 09:48

Hello John,
I'm sure I sailed with you, but can't remember what ship. Laomedon or Centaur.
Richard (R/O)
Old 13th May 2017, 06:47

It was no different twenty or so years previous March 1956 walking from Hamilton Square station and seeing wall to wall Blue Funnels rising above the Vittoria dock sheds.. What a marvelous sight for a GTZB sixteen-year old fresh from college.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x.jpg (55.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 13th May 2017, 10:48

after my first trip on an ore carrier then beening sent to odyssey to be part of the catering shore gang in1955.there were 4 in the dock ,they looked so clean and then I saw the accommodation I thought wow .told my dad (docker) he said china boats ?.don't blot your book and you'll be on them for years he was right 5 years until made my first big mistake and got married .oh dear wrong wrong wrong
Old 13th May 2017, 21:11

I used to cycle past Vittoria Dock on my way to school in Birkenhead. Along with some of my school mates, we would loiter round the locks watching them sail, or dock, and we all wanted to be part of that.
I think there were actually six of us in my year who did join Blueys. I only ever saw one of them again, Mike Elliott who was AB with me on a few ships some years later, (his mother was manager in The Pacific in Price St just up the road from the docks). As to the rest, I have no idea if they lasted long, it was a hard life for the first year or so, and many fell by the wayside.
Old 14th May 2017, 09:04

I have just joined this site. My first company was Blue Funnel Line. My first ship as Deck Boy was the Agapenor(just coasting. The bosun was Ralph Ball.
I spent the following 2 years aboard the Rhexenor until May 1956, followed by a couple of "A" Boats.

Here are some of the personel that I remember from the Rhexenor: Capts. Singleton and Anderson, Ch/offs. Ferguson and Evans, 2/ Off. Hopper. Carpenter Dennis Whitaker, Bosuns, Tommy Hogan and Joe O'Neil, (the best). Lampey Alex McGillivary. ABs. Trefor Roberts Hughie Roberts, Alan Owens, Bill Sumner, Hughie McDonald, Eric Leeds, Jimmy Dolman, Jimmy Dodds, Gerald Kelly, Kevin Roberts, Tommy Moreland and my watchmate Eddie Fargher ( who i believe went on to be Commodore Master of I.O.M. Steampacket). Might be some familiar names to some long term Blue Funnel Crews. Bruce.
Old 14th May 2017, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwr54 View Post
I have just joined this site. My first company was Blue Funnel Line. My first ship as Deck Boy was the Agapenor(just coasting. The bosun was Ralph Ball.
I spent the following 2 years aboard the Rhexenor until May 1956, followed by a couple of "A" Boats.

Here are some of the personel that I remember from the Rhexenor: Capts. Singleton and Anderson, Ch/offs. Ferguson and Evans, 2/ Off. Hopper. Carpenter Dennis Whitaker, Bosuns, Tommy Hogan and Joe O'Neil, (the best). Lampey Alex McGillivary. ABs. Trefor Roberts Hughie Roberts, Alan Owens, Bill Sumner, Hughie McDonald, Eric Leeds, Jimmy Dolman, Jimmy Dodds, Gerald Kelly, Kevin Roberts, Tommy Moreland and my watchmate Eddie Fargher ( who i believe went on to be Commodore Master of I.O.M. Steampacket). Might be some familiar names to some long term Blue Funnel Crews. Bruce.
Hi Bruce,
The only name I recognise there is Tommy Hogan. I coasted with him on (I think) the Hector. He joined her up in Glasgow after we sailed from Liverpool without a bosun, because the bosun, Jock Sutherland, went missing and was later found floating in Gladstone Dock.
Tommy Hogan was nicknamed "The Binman" for some reason. He kept to himself and had little to say to anyone.
regards,
Pat
Old 15th May 2017, 09:28

Hi Pat, Yes I had heard that nickname (Binman) before, not sure how he came by that name, Tommy Hogan left after my first deep sea voyage on the Rhexenor to be replaced by Joe O'Neil, in my mind one or peerhaps the best bosun that I had the pleasure to sail with, his Brother George was bosun on one of the Victory Ships at the time. Bill Sumners' Brother Bert, was bosun on the Automedon but left under a cloud, for what reason I do not know. I can remember the pair meeting up in Sydney when his brother (Bert) was bosun of the Flowergate and lying alongside at Millers Point, they had a hell of a session, I will say no more. Bruce.
Old 15th May 2017, 19:36

Quote:
Hi Pat, Yes I had heard that nickname (Binman) before, not sure how he came by that name, Tommy Hogan left after my first deep sea voyage on the Rhexenor to be replaced by Joe O'Neil, in my mind one or peerhaps the best bosun that I had the pleasure to sail with, his Brother George was bosun on one of the Victory Ships at the time. Bill Sumners' Brother Bert, was bosun on the Automedon but left under a cloud, for what reason I do not know. I can remember the pair meeting up in Sydney when his brother (Bert) was bosun of the Flowergate and lying alongside at Millers Point, they had a hell of a session, I will say no more. Bruce.
One thing about Blueys Bruce, they had many memorable bosuns.
Some I remember are the aforementioned Jock Sutherland who I coasted with six or seven times. When I was peggy, Jock used to give me a ten bob note and send me up the road in Glasgow to get him a small bottle of Scotch, and "keep the change sonny", which I used to spend on a sausage toastie in the Black Cat cafe in Linthouse. He came to a tragic end, somehow falling into the dock on his way back to the ship from the Caradoc on sailing night.
Another was Jack Cleary, a giant of a man from Wicklow, and his cousin Paddy Procter. then there was Ned Phillips, an amiable old Welshman who looked and dressed, like a sheep farmer, which he apparently was when home on leave.
Vic Blower was the bosun who introduced paint rollers to Blue Flue. he actually went ashore in Hong Kong and bought a dozen rollers and trays. The mate was astonished when the crew painted the whole of the prom deck in one day.. Vic later became shore bosun in Birkenhead.
I think the best bosun I ever sailed with was Bob Parsons, a "Newfie" who was a real seaman and as strong as a bull.
There were many more, some good, some tyrants, but all were excellent seamen.
Regards,
Pat
Old 15th May 2017, 22:07

Pat cannot remember the bosuns name on a P boat phyrus or pealus.?? but he made me a canvas guitar cover for my big acustic round top on the way home hand stitched with palm and needle all for a few beers .he would pass by the galley and say let me see it again to check the size ..then i would go to his cabin with it and 2 beers .in there would be the chef and the chippy .I sorry I did not know there where 3 of you here .they all said don't worry lad we are well taken care of.fitted like a glove .when I asked he when done it how much ,his reply nothing son .it was my pleasure to pass the time
wish my mind would let me remember his name .had hands like coal shovels yet the stitching was so small .
Old 20th May 2017, 12:55

Quote:

Trefor Roberts made the cut to Bosun. He was such on the Super P, I managed but one voyage - Protesilaus. An unhappy ship.

BW

J:
Old 20th May 2017, 13:22

No Blue Funnel Bosun thread /comment can be complete without mention of Hector's Joe Bates.

A diminutive man who joined Hector on the stocks at H&W Belfast in 1950 and left her at the breakers at Kaohsiung in July 1972. My understanding is that he voyaged as Bosun on her throughout that entire period - 22 years in total. His 'leave' was taken between voyages.

Joe was indeed a hard man, but a fair one. Expected no favours and gave none. Much unliked by deck boys, JOSs. SOSs, EDHs and Mates alike he ran his ship with an iron hand. He had a natural affinity with most ABs though and treated them with great respect.

I personally saw him throw the keys at a Chief Officer in some dispute.

It is generally accepted that no deck boy or JOS was ever asked back for a second trip with Joe.

I managed 4 trips with him as AB - including the one, when on his 1st trip to Bangkok following a night with a fairy, he failed to rise to "turn us too " for 0600.

An extraordinary seaman and one who set me fair.

BW

J
Old 21st May 2017, 22:50

[QUOTE=tony allen;2350]on my first trip on the elpenor 1955 /QUOTE]

Tony,
I just posted a photo of your first Bluey, the Elpenor, in the gallery.
I hope it brings back some good memories for you.
Best Regards,
Pat
Old 22nd May 2017, 00:54

thanks pat my education was on that ship .what a crew from top to bottom I was able to take pride in myself .as a skinny kid .my mum and dad said that I grew up while on her,shared books with the deck crew shh if my parents only knew ! cheers
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Oilskin View Post
Trefor Roberts made the cut to Bosun. He was such on the Super P, I managed but one voyage - Protesilaus. An unhappy ship.

BW

J:
I am sure that Trefor would have made a very good bosun, he was a good seaman and popular with with the crew.
Old 30th May 2017, 17:49

Thanks PK for that info on the shore-gangs.
Was it the same for complete Chinese crewed ships that I mainly sailed except my last Adrastus?
Well I remember the departure "bull" inspections and a great story on the school-children nodding knowingly at the sound of those fantastic fog-horns of soon to depart Blueys..