Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck

virtual crazy gang, part II

Old 9th July 2018, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-17 View Post
Have we reached Havana yet or has everyone been toooo busy arguing? Hope that I haven't slept through Havana and missed out, like I did for Tampa.
Hi! Red. Nice to have you back aboard again. And yes, we are still in Havana, and Sir William, I am sure, wil be pleased to loan you his Titanium Credit Card for you to engage in some maxi-shopping ashore. I've got a local 1959 Cadillac convertible standing by for your transportation.

When you're done, perhaps we could meet for a relaxing supper at one of the fine traditional hotel dining rooms. (It would make a change from anchovies sauteed in gripetini marinade. ----- with all due respect to Varley.)
Old 9th July 2018, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Alexander View Post
Hi! Red. Nice to have you back aboard again. And yes, we are still in Havana, and Sir William, I am sure, wil be pleased to loan you his Titanium Credit Card for you to engage in some maxi-shopping ashore. I've got a local 1959 Cadillac convertible standing by for your transportation.

When you're done, perhaps we could meet for a relaxing supper at one of the fine traditional hotel dining rooms. (It would make a change from anchovies sauteed in gripetini marinade. ----- with all due respect to Varley.)
Oh what a lovely idea Tom. A shopping expedition and then a fine meal with a gentleman for company. It's a date. Just please do not tell anyone else or I feel sure they would do all they could to cause havoc to our day out. A '59 Caddie, WOW. I shall dress in the style of the day, ala Grace Kelly and you can pretend to be Cary Grant. We will be the talk of Havana.

Vicki D
Old 9th July 2018, 22:44

Quote:
Oh what a lovely idea Tom. A shopping expedition and then a fine meal with a gentleman for company. It's a date. Just please do not tell anyone else or I feel sure they would do all they could to cause havoc to our day out. A '59 Caddie, WOW. I shall dress in the style of the day, ala Grace Kelly and you can pretend to be Cary Grant. We will be the talk of Havana.
Enjoy your day in the sunshine, Red. But are you sure Tom isn't Havana laugh?

Old 9th July 2018, 23:15

Oh Gawd....."Our man in Havana rides again" ...LOL)

Come on Dartskipper, lets go ashore and check this place out. I did hear there were some nice accommodating ladies here.
Old 10th July 2018, 07:31

Used to call into Havana a few times pre Castro times in the 50's, after the war and immediate post years of UK/Europe where-in everything was dull, grey, subdued (food and clothing rationing still abounding thereby the cause of) it was like entering a film set, a riot of colour, sunshine, coffee coloured very attractive girls, dancing in a manner considered 'not correct' back home, a young mans paradise and still managed to have a good time on £6 per month even after leaving mum £2 10s per month allotment, mind you being of diminutive stature and looking about 12 years old did help in a lot of the girls wanting to mother me and feed me naturally with their mothering instincts!

Was back there a couple of years ago, a sad sight compared to yore, but the people still lovely I it appeared, was the only person they'd met who had been there pre-Castro. We had been advised by a friend who had visited earlier to take colouring cranes/books, toothbrushes, baby clothes and such like and give these as tips rather than money, as these items were in short supply, we nearly filled a suitcase with stuff from the Pound Shop (other brands are available!) and I must say they were gratefully received and we were looked after like long lost grandparents...………..memories
Old 10th July 2018, 08:51

Sound man IJC 38,salt and beads for the natives. Did you forget the Bibles?

FFS, ES that diet Fanta is sobering you up far too quickly and making you argumentative, see Skippy, sorry Shelia, sorry Red17 and he will give you some bush medication. If you can't face wichy-grubs Quack Varley has spogged some gripe water cocktails in his shack. A proper pick-me-up and McCloggie will russle up a nice cheese omelette, 3 eggs and bugger the cholesterol.
Old 10th July 2018, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post

Good man yerself sahib, be Jeezuz I be forgettin dem little books that cause that much dissension
Old 10th July 2018, 09:24

A proper pick-me-up and McCloggie will russle up a nice cheese omelette, 3 eggs and bugger the cholesterol.

Nurse! He's out of his bed again!!

McC
Old 10th July 2018, 10:37

The whole choirschool? Need more than 3 eggs for one of them omelettes..
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 10th July 2018, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloggie View Post
A proper pick-me-up and McCloggie will russle up a nice cheese omelette, 3 eggs and bugger the cholesterol.

Nurse! He's out of his bed again!!

McC
Yee Gods, what does it take to keep this man down? Gave him the strongest sedative I could and he was well and truly out to it when I left him. Think it is time for the straight jacket, might need some help with this one.

Vicki D
Old 10th July 2018, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJC 38 View Post
Good man yerself sahib, be Jeezuz I be forgettin dem little books that cause that much dissension
IJC 38. Who the hell are you? I have no record of you on my list of crew. Please report to sick bay immediately, I repeat, immediately!

Vicki D
Old 10th July 2018, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post

FFS, ES that diet Fanta is sobering you up far too quickly and making you argumentative, see Skippy, sorry Shelia, sorry Red17 and he will give you some bush medication. If you can't face wichy-grubs Quack Varley has spogged some gripe water cocktails in his shack. A proper pick-me-up and McCloggie will russle up a nice cheese omelette, 3 eggs and bugger the cholesterol.
I'm coming for you ES. It is neither Skippy OR Sheila and McGloggie has NOTHING to do with supplying of food on this vessel. What the devil are you taking?? More importantly, who is suppling you????:really mad: Bye the way, it is 'wichety', not wichy. Think we need to engage Squeek and Eric at this point in time. Tmac could we please have your approval on this as things are getting quite out of hand. Irish or not he needs to be brought under control or we are all at risk.

Vicki D
Old 10th July 2018, 12:33

Quote:
IJC 38. Who the hell are you? I have no record of you on my list of crew. Please report to sick bay immediately, I repeat, immediately!

I be wun of dem der interlopers, who climbed de rope ye all left hanging over the stern, yer vessel weren't very shipshape and Bristol fashion, and being of motley crew meeself I tought may as well be sailing wid the udder motlies. I be old and gnarled but still do a fair dinkum hornpipe salsa! aargh!
Old 10th July 2018, 13:27

you just cannot leave Udders out of it can you IJC38 ? you know talk like that will wake gulliver up
Old 10th July 2018, 14:44

Gulliver's udders? I don't think I have read that one. The one about talking horses, yes.

What about mustering all hands to skylark and hornpipe, we might get up a thirst.
Old 10th July 2018, 15:27

I be wun of dem der interlopers, who climbed de rope ye all left hanging over the stern, yer vessel weren't very shipshape and Bristol fashion, and being of motley crew meeself I tought may as well be sailing wid the udder motlies. I be old and gnarled but still do a fair dinkum hornpipe salsa! aargh!

Lets us not dwell on how IJC appears to be here - he is and we must deal with it! Its a bit like Brexit really - we may not agree with either side but we must just get on with it.

If IJC wanted to join us all he had to do was present himself to the Security Crew (we do carry some "special" cargoes after all) and we would have checked his suitability, after all anyone is welcome onboard here.

Climbing up the mooring lines however when we had a gangway out does seem suspicious and he may be checking our supply of rum, classic 1950s cars and cigars (Sir William take note).

Now while he may be quite innocent and a genuine crew member, firstly the cut-outs must take him to Sick Bay for a full medical please Red.

After that we can see what role this interloper can perform.

Actually, if he is good at making cocktails and providing Cuban/Spanish food it might get ES off my back and I would support his inclusion into the crew!

Right, off to see where Sir William and Dart Skipper are onshore.

McC
Old 10th July 2018, 16:24

I remember I clambered over the side (incoming) from a raft of some description, but that has not prevented me from becoming joint 1st Mate and Chief Stewart with specila responsibility for bottles.

I don't get asked to drive much these days after landing the GD on the top of the Great Pyramid (did get her down though). Speak up, IJC, and remember that the language spoken aboard is English, we can arrange for lessons. Anyone lively on their toes would find some job here, just don't think of re-arranging everyones roles (or, rolls, if you end in catering) or you might find yourself in the sick bay (i.e. fed a pint of jalap and chucked over the side to purge yourself).
Old 10th July 2018, 17:24

Ha !!! I only joined this fine vessel when Billyboy "invited" me aboard for a nice bit of Black Bush tasting when I awoke three days later surrounded by injun bits. "while you are down there" he said "you might as well amuse yourself by assembling those bits and thingymabobs" and years later I'm still down this feckin' pit up to my oxters in Tellus oil and WD40 (don't ask) yet I wouldn't wish for better shipmates or to be anywhere else. (and if any of you lot ever repeat my comment, I'll kill ya !!!!)

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 10th July 2018, 17:26

Quote:
I Think we need to engage Squeek and Eric at this point in time. Tmac could we please have your approval on this as things are getting quite out of hand. Irish or not he needs to be brought under control or we are all at risk.
Young lady Squeek and Eric are at your service and if the threat of those two reprobates does not have the desired effect I shall emerge from within the pit bearing my oversize flogging spanner and legendary 7llb shifter to seek retribution on your behalf

Old 10th July 2018, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJC 38 View Post
I be old and gnarled but still do a fair dinkum hornpipe salsa! aargh!
What the *£"^ is all that noise on the deck above my injun room?.... Hoi who the feck are you ???? and if you don't quit that leaping about like a rat on a hot floor plate I'll shove this fire hose up your stern gland and give you a colonic irrigation you will never forget

Bloody deckie types, no sense of decorum, not like us injuneers (mutter mutter mumble mumble)

Old 10th July 2018, 17:51

Tmac, sense of decorum does not mean nailing up some flying ducks and using brown wall-paper to show off your aspidistra, it means having spittoons and not using them.
Old 10th July 2018, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloggie View Post

Climbing up the mooring lines however when we had a gangway out does seem suspicious and he may be checking our supply of rum, classic 1950s cars and cigars (Sir William take note).

McC

Ere ye! I wus only using dee rope, cos dee gangway was full of ye mates flaked out and I cuddna get apast them. Anyway I ad a full case of Pussers Rum under me arm for dem in charge, who ever de be, an Pussers Rum was the nearest I cud git to Pussy Rum which Ah naw you'd all prefer. Anyway Ah cudn't find anyone in charge, so I drank it, ish wash very gush
Old 10th July 2018, 18:40

Righto Sir William. It's very nice to stretch the legs on shore again. Spend too long at sea and the equilibrium gets discombobulated somewhat. Anyway, shall we hail that 1956 Checker Marathon over there? Or would you prefer that 1957 Chevvy Bel Air ragtop? (I think that's what our ex Colonial buddies call a convertible.) Do we go and stock up with some Coronas, or shall we sample a few noggins of the local distilled sugar cane by product?

Oh, I say! Let's follow her across the street, she may be going to that nice looking hostelry up the road. I do like the way her transom moves as she walks. Reminds me of the deckie learner trying to scull our dinghy in a stiff breeze.
Old 10th July 2018, 21:36

Oh, Dartskipper, your description of sculling fills me with a strong desire to go out and grab an oar (I think that's how it is spelt).
Old 10th July 2018, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Oh, Dartskipper, your description of sculling fills me with a strong desire to go out and grab an oar (I think that's how it is spelt).
Correct FJ. The "H" is silent. (Like the "P" in bath.)