Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Engine Room

Trimmers Life

Old 19th June 2018, 20:29

Trimmers Life

A Trimmers Life Or

My Life As An Ocean Going Coal Miner.

The occupation of trimmer which was to become known as one of the worst jobs in the world during Victorian times, had its roots down the coal mines of South Wales, Yorkshire, and County Durham, England when trimmers were the souls that were employed to clear the coal away from the miner’s path into baskets or skips as he hacked into the virgin coal face in a tunnel far below the surface.
It was one of the most physical demanding tasks that had to be carried out in the dimly lit darkness in cramped conditions that included sometimes searing temperatures, high moisture, wetness underfoot and unclean gas and dust laden air, conditions so bad that the Government of the times was forced to introduce laws to ban Boys under 12 years of age and females of all ages from working underground where their size was often of an advantage when shoveling and hauling coal away from the coal face to the pit head elevator via the small narrow tunnels. This legislation sped up the adoption of higher access tunnels and pit ponies but never the less the trimmer’s job remained a brutally hard task until underground mechanization and materials handling led to its demise.
Transfer this same hard task to a steam ship of the day, a ship with hand fired boilers and its coal fuel stored in holds or bunkers adjacent to the boiler room where the trimmer’s job was to deliver a constant supply of coal to each fireman tending the boilers.
This was the job I took on when I joined my first coal fired steam ship and became a member of what was known as the “Black Gang.”
As a sea going job it was the same as most others in as much as we worked four hours on and eight hours off watches, except for one very big difference, it was hard physical work, almost non stop, for most of the four hour watch and accompanied by conditions not far removed from and sometimes worse than the job of a trimmer down a coal mine.
The ship’s boiler room or stoke hold had a crew of three firemen or stokers and one trimmer per watch and while each fireman’s task was to feed coal into the furnaces of the boiler under his care it was the sole trimmers job to maintain a supply of coal on the plates alongside each of the three boilers.
The bunker was a very dangerous place to work as it was poorly lit, only by a portable cluster light, and the constant shoveling of coal into the wheelbarrow often caused the coal heap to shift and slide, sometimes like an avalanche, and this was often agitated by the movement of the ship as she pitched and rolled to the weather conditions. These coal slides would add clouds of dust to the already dirt laden atmosphere of the bunker, dust that would get in the eyes, the throat, the hair and into every single pore of the body that was exposed. Sometimes all you could see of a trimmer in a bunker was the whites of his eyes after the black dust had coated everything else.
Essentials for the job were a good pair of boots, steel toed preferred, and a good shovel with a smooth wooden handle to minimize the inevitable blisters and calluses that developed on the hands. Body clothing was usually a pair of cut off jeans or shorts, a tee shirt and a sweat rag. I never saw a fireman or a trimmer wearing a safety hat, breathing mask or glasses in my time.
Once the wheel barrow was full the job of wheeling it to the boiler fronts was often a big challenge, a steel wheel on steel plates, the ship’s motion and the heavy load often made success a bit like Russian Roulette as I struggled to control the barrow while the ship’s roll created a steep uphill slope and an equally taxing runaway down hill descent in heavy weather. Every single muscle in the body was put to test when wheel barrowing under these conditions.
I was still in my teens and not of a big build, only 5’ 7’ tall and skinny with it, the previous years as a deckhand on a three masted sailing schooner where all ship board tasks were manual had at least hardened and strengthened me toward this new job.
Three loads dumped and three fireman's immediate needs satisfied, might occasionally allow time for a breather but only a brief one as a steamship traveling at full speed in good conditions has a coal and steam appetite like a horse with the bit in its teeth. At anytime the satisfaction of being ahead of the fireman's and boiler’s demands was only a fleeting experience before it was back to the old routine of wheel into the darkness, shovel, and tip for the watch duration

The firemen, senior to the trimmer, had the task of shoveling coal onto the grate of each of the three furnaces per boiler and in a skilled way that ensured an even spread and grate coverage to provide the maximum heat for steam raising. His prime duty was to maintain a constant steam pressure supply for the ship’s engines and this involved a continual watch on the boiler pressure gauge and the water level gauge glasses and at the same time he had to plan his firing method to allow for tending the individual fires by slicing and raking the fire bed, breaking up the clinker and removing the ashes in one furnace while maintaining a full fire on the others.
Toward the end of the watch the firemen would normally let one boiler furnace burn out to almost nothing but at the same time maintaining steam pressure with the other two while the ashes were being removed and a clean fire restarted, this process was repeated until all furnaces were firing clean and well for the engineer and firemen of the next watch to inspect and take over.

Ashing out the fires was another job for the trimmer after the fireman had pushed and raked the ashes off the grate into the bottom of the furnace grate. While doing this close up against the boiler fronts where the temperature was often in the 100 to 130 degrees (F) the radiance from the fire added to that heat plus the quenching of the hot drawn ash with water upped the humidity and the discomfort.
When the ashes were cooled they had to be placed in a small hydraulic hopper for conveying up and over the side, hence the expression “dumping the ashes”
The watch ending was always a good feeling, probably far more appreciated by the stoke hold crew that the deck watches or even the engine room. Fresh, clean, relatively cool air and a wash down never felt so good

I spent a couple of voyages as a trimmer before becoming a fireman, a less strenuous duty, but only marginally so, but when the old coal fired ships were converted to oil fired boilers the job became a lot cleaner and far easier for the “Black Gangs” of those days.
Old 20th June 2018, 19:38
Super Moderator

Fantastic piece John - bugger that for a way of making a living!

........ a closed mouth gathers no feet!
Old 20th June 2018, 20:07

A superb piece of history John. Congratulations & Best Regards Roger
Old 20th June 2018, 21:04

Thanks for your posts Roger and Ray.
Old 21st June 2018, 02:53

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Thanks John.

Something to look back upon rather than forward to.

A history lesson for almost all of us.

Two questions if I may, please:
  1. Was there a standard or preferred handle for the shovels used which I would describe as a 'T' handle or a 'yoke' ie a straight end at 90 degrees to the shaft or a sort of Y with a straight piece between the two pieces connecting to the shaft?
  2. Were different design/size/length etc shovels used for for trimming as distinct from firing?

Any info will be appreciated.

Geoff (YM)
Old 21st June 2018, 11:45

Geoff, the coal shovels we used were like the Y you described, they were nicknamed " Banjos"
Firemen and Trimmers both used the same type.
Old 21st June 2018, 12:56

Location: Mundrabilla (haha), Melbourne really but I'd rather be in Narvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Geoff, the coal shovels we used were like the Y you described, they were nicknamed " Banjos"
Firemen and Trimmers both used the same type.
Thanks John.
Shovels used in firing steam locos here in Oz were also nicknamed 'Banjos' but pretty certain that they had 'T' handles (in Victoria anyway). There were two brackets on the front of the tender upon which to hang the shovel by means of the 'arms of the T handle'.
Geoff (YM)
Old 22nd June 2018, 03:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Thanks John.
Shovels used in firing steam locos here in Oz were also nicknamed 'Banjos' but pretty certain that they had 'T' handles (in Victoria anyway). There were two brackets on the front of the tender upon which to hang the shovel by means of the 'arms of the T handle'.
Geoff (YM)
On the Aussie coast in the 1956's we used the #8 Sydney shovel and they had a "T" handle.
I wrote a peice about the time I spent in the stokehold and I will try and find it again.
Old 22nd June 2018, 03:33

My time in the stokehold

The post by John Rogers brought back memories for me. I was a slim lad of 16 years old when I joined my first ship which was a coal burner.
I soon built up some muscle and sinew heaving hatch boards and beams every couple of days and a dab hand with a shovel. The shovelling with a number 8 Sydney shovel dumping the huge piles of ash after we cleared port each day. Swinging a hammer to secure the wood wedges was a breeze after a while. These were skills which I never forgot as I carried on becoming a ships master.
A few years ago I was at a fair with my son who is a lot bigger than I, (having a black belt in Karate and into weight training and fitness addict with a muscle all gained in a gym and over six feet tall). One of the stall had that hammer swinging where the idea was to send a shuttle up a scale and ring a bell at the top. My son trying to show off to his girl friend swung the hammer a few times and did not ring the bell. The fellow running the stall said to me would you like to try looking at me a diminutive 5’6” and in my late 70’s.
First swing I rang the bell. Bet you could not do that again it was a flook! Three more time in succession I did it ringing the bell each time.!!! But back to the stoke hold. I was volunteered to work down there as some of the Arab firemen were sick. They were from South Shields.
I can say I AGREE with John as it is the most miserable job on board. The ship burned about 40 tons of coal each day and the three trimmers had to supply this amount to the firemen. Before the end of each watch one fire in each boiler was allowed to burn down so when you started your watch the job was to clean it out of clinker using a long steel rake and slice. And gradually bring it back up. This while attending to the other two fires. It’s not possible to maintain the boiler on the “Blood” so the ships speed dropped. Coal had to be shovelled in the right way and not just thrown in. One shovel to the left one o the right and ne to the middle at the back of the furnace and them again towards the front. This was allowed to flame up with the furnace door shut. The other two furnaces had to be attended to in between times. Then back to the first one and add a few more pitches. The trimmer in the mean time kept you supplied with coal and was dumping ashes in between time. After bunkering the trimmer had it fairly easy as the coal ran down into the stokehold but later ad to barrow it to each fireman on a steel wheeled barrow. The donkey man who was in charge of the back gang watch was in the engineroom and he and he engineer kept the boiler feed water monitored. A few days was all it took for me to be glad to be back on deck. THE WORST JOB ON BOARD.
Old 22nd June 2018, 03:50

Keeping the Boilers steam gage in the Blood, not heard that in many a year. Thanks for your story
Lakercapt.
Old 6th September 2019, 14:43

The trimmer is a pretty bird ,he flies from strimmer to strimmer looking for cobs,and feeds on bilge water and ashes. And the fireman is a voracious animal . As told to me by Little Bobby Jones -scouse fireman on MV Luxor 1968
Old 7th September 2019, 14:45
Super Moderator

Greetings Mike and a warm welcome to SH. Bon voyage.
Old 7th September 2019, 23:45

I worked as a firemen on the locomotives. During one years annual leave i worked in the stoke hold of a pleasure paddle steamer. Dirtiest job i ever had. On the loco's the shovels were long and narrow with a "T" handles. Whilst all other shovels around the sheds were No 8 pan shovels as was the Paddle steamer.
Old 8th September 2019, 10:40

Somewhere, sometime, I posted on my father's experience as a fitter with Holt's, being sent to do a night watch on a Scott's-Still engined vessel. The old hand passing over the watch, gave him very specific instructions on how to keep the steam system balanced and the alternator running, emphasising to keep the steam gauge "in the blood" as the whole system was very delicately balanced. That was the first time that I had heard the expression "in the blood" (being solely a motor engineer!).
Rgds.
Dave
Old 12th September 2019, 10:03

Isle of Wight paddle steamers late 50s early 60s, coalburners, working the summer season as a shoreside job. Shift work rather than watchkeeping, two firemen in the stokehold. The old salt I worked with was an expert, placing each shovelful exactly where he wanted it. If we were going to spend any length of time alongside he would bank the fire and we would spend a couple of hours topside and when we went back below he would slice his beautifully laid heap and it would immediately blaze away. Two lessons he taught me. Turn your belt buckle round to the back of your strides or you'll burn your wrists as you swing the shovel and inspect the plates in front of the boiler fronts to make sure they're not buckled- nothing worse than your shovel hitting a raised plate edge. Kia ora!