Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Mess Deck > The Engine Room

Fullagar Engines

Old 23rd March 2021, 18:29

That is the problem with dykes. Your tiny dribble of anti Oxford commentary and there's a flood.

(I was going to work-in a reciprocal dislike pointing at SEMT but I was late for my game of GO).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Gibbs View Post
Probably not insoluble but it got a bad reputation and it was done for - bit like the AZ vaccine in Europe?
Not wanting to be pedantic but a person can hardly complain about thread drift if he himself introduced the topic.

Does anyone agree with me that an armful of Pfizer-Biontec would have benefited Mr W H Fullagar.
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:20

them old Leyland bus engines (the 600's) you needed whitworth, BSF and AF spanners to rebuild one.
Never had the experience of a fulager though did work on the reconditioning of an English Electric Diesel many moons back.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Not wanting to be pedantic but a person can hardly complain about thread drift if he himself introduced the topic.

Does anyone agree with me that an armful of Pfizer-Biontec would have benefited Mr W H Fullagar.
Guilty as charged
Old 25th March 2021, 08:09

It's not a hanging offence.
But what is a hanged, drawn and quartering offence is to put a Fullagar or Doxford or H&W Opposed Piston engine in a ship. And I am unanimous on that.

Did Cammel Laird not look at the Fullagar engine, the Opposition and the Market and say let's cut our losses?
Old 25th March 2021, 12:38

Quote:
But what is a hanged, drawn and quartering offence is to put a Fullagar or Doxford or H&W Opposed Piston engine in a ship. And I am unanimous on that..........
Most of my significant "experiences "were with Doxfords. I didn't think too much about them at the time 'cos i just assumed that's the it was and had to be. However, 50 years on and having time to reflect, my most frequent thought is something along the lines of:Bloody hell, did that really happen
Old 25th March 2021, 13:54

Quote:
But what is a hanged, drawn and quartering offence is to put a Fullagar or Doxford or H&W Opposed Piston engine in a ship. And I am unanimous on that.

Did Cammel Laird not look at the Fullagar engine, the Opposition and the Market and say let's cut our losses?
The bit below is written on the assumption that I am granted a thread drift exemption certificate;
Way back in 1913ish Hugo Junkers and AG Weser in Germany built a "double Doxford" before the Doxford had even been thought of.
There were three units in each engine of a twin screw installation and each unit consisted of two cylinders, one above the other with two pistons in each. The bottom piston on the lower cylinder was connected to the upper piston of the upper cylinder and the upper piston of the lower cylinder was connected to the lower piston of the upper cylinder. Glad you all got that
The cylinder bore was 400mm and the engine was 8.4 metres high! Each engine was supposed to develop 1000bhp @ 120 rpm but it was a complete failure and the technical press of the time considered it to be the biggest failure in the history of marine engineering. The owners refused to accept the vessel until the engines were replaced with steam engines and and Scotch boilers .
Despite this total failure, Hugo Junkers went on to design a large number of very successful opposed piston aero engines which gave the RAF so much trouble during WWII
Old 25th March 2021, 16:47

As you say, Tim, looking back with 20/20 hindsight, the biggest "failure" were maybe materials, tolerances and lube oils. I suppose IF a Doxford, B&W, Fullagar or even Junkers Weser were built today, they would probably be more successful.

Remember the change in cylinder lube oil to counter-affect acid rain during first manouevres, the discovery of anaerobic crankcase bacteria, etc. etc.

I looked at a MAN B&W generator set installed on a power barge in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. The cranshaft had sheared - The RCA found an inclusion had initiated the crack. The inclusion was below 2 microns which is the limit for detection. Even today, nothing is perfect! ........I never forget the Yanmars which were numbers 1 through 5 off the production line!.......Bit of a brown underpants job when taking the log.

Regards,
Dave
Old 25th March 2021, 16:49

No.5 went south, BTW! Piston excursion.
Old 23rd April 2022, 22:41

The Napier Fullagar Engine

The Fullagar Engine at the Faraday Centre in Napier has just had a major maintenance programme completed. This engine is not functional in terms of being internal combustion powered - but it is operating driven by a 3 phase electric motor which rotates the engine so that visitors to the centre can see all of the internal components operating as they would if it was under power.

Happy to provide photos etc to anyone interested - and even happier to receive any more information about the Fullagar engines that we could put on display at the centre.
Old 24th April 2022, 09:02
Super Moderator

Greetings GordonHart and welcome to SH. Bon voyage.
Old 25th April 2022, 03:15

Thanks, Gordon, for the tip! Hopefully it will generate interest in the younger visitors.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 25th April 2022, 18:02

and pray what is wrong with H&W built Burmeister and Wain injuns? Cut my teeth on those

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 25th April 2022, 18:10

H&W B&W, Big man you're safe enough now but 50 - 40 years ago you would probably have gotten a good kicking in any dockside pub. Eccentrically eccentric. In the name of all that's holy tell no one else.

BTW did Harlands build VT2BF at the same time as OP engines or was there a clean break?

Last edited by Engine Serang; 25th April 2022 at 18:15.
Old 26th April 2022, 18:08

B&W VT2BF engines overlapped for a few months when the opposed piston type were abandoned. Neither engine could be considered as H&W's finest idea.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 26th April 2022, 23:42

Overlapped? Wouldn't that let the seats burn, that is if a few months lapping didn't see you through to the entablature?
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 27th April 2022, 00:54

Dear Gordon,
I just had an occurrence - All of the bearings must be checked for "settling". At 20rpm, deformation (flattening) may not be apparent, but if you intend to refire the engine, principally all the white metal bearings may have to be replace, quite a major consideration.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 27th April 2022, 06:48

Thank you Dave - good feedback. I will put the warning in the lessons learned document that we have created for use by future generations. I doubt that anybody will be looking to refire the engine in the medium term - but you never know. We do actually have two big end bearing caps that have not been used since they were reconditioned with fresh white metal. Found some other interesting spares under the wooden walkway in front of the engine too. A bit of a treasure trove - and I will be pulling some out to clean up and display.
Thanks - Gordon
Old 27th April 2022, 07:19

It wouldn't be too difficult to fire up the engine, two things are required; big cheque book and big balls.