Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > Historic Shipping Lines & Ships

PS Waverley

Old 10th May 2019, 09:20

PS Waverley

Sad to see that the paddle steamer Waverley will not enter service until August this year due to extended boiler works being undertaken : her programme for May, June and July has been cancelled. Good luck to all assisting with the repairs to this most iconic ship.
Old 10th May 2019, 17:14

...and having only posted the sad news above earlier today, more is received. PS Waverley will not operate at all in 2019 and an appeal has been launched to replace her boilers.

https://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/
Old 11th May 2019, 10:13

Its a great pity!
I had the priviledge of being pilot on her in and out of Belfast one sunny summers evening, (We usually get one a year in Belfast) and boy, did I get my eyes opened.
Tiny dinner plate of a rudder and telegraphs to the engine room.
Approach berth at about 8 knots then all hell breaks loose, engine telegraphs going along with berthing telegraphs!!!!

My hair went from jet black to white in a nano second!!!!
Hats off to the lads who manoeuvre her and to those who maintain the gubbins down below.
Old 24th May 2019, 22:05

I remember, a long time ago, being doon the water on a paddle steamer and leaving a pier somewhere with another approaching the spot we had just left. Even as a seven year old the speeds were manic and I did hear someone say there is going to be an almighty bang one day. Pilot 24 has now given me the reason why my hair stood on end all those years ago. As for Waverly we do get graced with her appearance in Belfast and Bangor and a lovely sight she is. Hope the work gets done quickly and no extra problems arise.
Crawford.
Old 24th May 2019, 23:17

When Waverley visited South Devon many years ago, she berthed at Haldon Pier, Torquay. There was a strong SW breeze, (Haldon Pier runs approximately NE/SW,) and she overcooked the approach. There was an almighty bang as she hit Beacon Quay at a rate of knots. I think they managed to get some fenders over and limited the damage to her bow.
Old 27th May 2019, 11:48

A real shame that such a graceful beauty has been laid up because of a lack of cash to repair/replace her boilers, I had the pleasure of seeing her at under way on a number of occasions (mainly in the Clyde) and was always very impressed by her stately elegance, she is most definitely on my 'save list' and worth every penny of every donation....

Nicholas Monsarrat
Old 27th May 2019, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
When Waverley visited South Devon many years ago, she berthed at Haldon Pier, Torquay. There was a strong SW breeze, (Haldon Pier runs approximately NE/SW,) and she overcooked the approach. There was an almighty bang as she hit Beacon Quay at a rate of knots. I think they managed to get some fenders over and limited the damage to her bow.
As I recall, I was on the beach at Paignton when she arrived late, As you say at a great rate of Knots. She was hired to take local dignitaries for a ride I believe.. Impressive sight as she crossed the bay flat out.
Old 28th May 2019, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
As I recall, I was on the beach at Paignton when she arrived late, As you say at a great rate of Knots. She was hired to take local dignitaries for a ride I believe.. Impressive sight as she crossed the bay flat out.
I had forgotten that little detail Bill. Yes, it was the Chairman and members of the Works and Harbours Committee, and sundry other councillors and officials. They used to get a jolly on the Lifeboat as well, the Edward Bridges I think in those days. Art Curnow, the Cox'n, used to delight in giving them a "nice trip" around the bay too, I heard.
Old 29th May 2019, 06:08

Strip out the leaky boiler and the decrepit steam engine and install a gleaming yellow Cat 3512, propulsion problems solved for the next 20 years.
The zealots safety's will be lifting but lets get real, this is history not nostalgia.
Old 29th May 2019, 14:03

Philistine! Is this the contraption with a fuel oil cooled computer strapped to it?
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 29th May 2019, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Strip out the leaky boiler and the decrepit steam engine and install a gleaming yellow Cat 3512, propulsion problems solved for the next 20 years.
The zealots safety's will be lifting but lets get real, this is history not nostalgia.
Does the Cat go in athwartships to drive the paddlewheels? Or is there a stonking great Spicer transmission and differential driving twin shafts connected to the side wheels? Waverley doesn't have any propellers or shafts at her stern.
Old 29th May 2019, 18:23

Don't bother me with trivia. Details are for the little people. It's my job to sell you an engine.
Old 29th May 2019, 20:05

I'm not sure I want a yellow engine. It would clash with my overalls. Something white, cream, grey and silver, or medium grey- green would be ok though.
Old 29th May 2019, 21:38

I thought the usual stock of the itinerant Hibernian trader is one or two grandmothers and a couple of horses. Neither do I think LR would approve plans on the basis that they had been drafted by a bunch of fairies even if they bear the chief Leprechaun's chop.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 20th August 2019, 22:04

Paddle steamer handling is a particular art. The paddles are so far from the rudder that its effectiveness depends entirely on the speed of the hull through the water. Hence the fast approach to pier head/quay, the aim being to bring the paddle box as close as possible to the berth for easy transfer of mooring lines while timing exactly the right moment to go full astern . The stopping power of the paddles is however awsome (standing on deck you can actually feel the deceleration) Fine judgement brings the ship to a stop in exactly the right spot amid a jangle of telegraph bells. Lifting off a berth is straightforward, the lines fore or aft being used to pivot the hull about the paddle box so she can then steam straight out. When "Eagle Steamers " introduced their first twin screw motor ship "Queen of the Channel" in 1935 all their masters were experienced paddler hands. Old habits die hard and the story goes that when she first made a call alongside Brighton pier insufficient allowance was made and she very nearly ended up on the promenade.
Old 3rd September 2020, 22:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyw View Post
Paddle steamer handling is a particular art. The paddles are so far from the rudder that its effectiveness depends entirely on the speed of the hull through the water. Hence the fast approach to pier head/quay, the aim being to bring the paddle box as close as possible to the berth for easy transfer of mooring lines while timing exactly the right moment to go full astern . The stopping power of the paddles is however awsome (standing on deck you can actually feel the deceleration) Fine judgement brings the ship to a stop in exactly the right spot amid a jangle of telegraph bells. Lifting off a berth is straightforward, the lines fore or aft being used to pivot the hull about the paddle box so she can then steam straight out. When "Eagle Steamers " introduced their first twin screw motor ship "Queen of the Channel" in 1935 all their masters were experienced paddler hands. Old habits die hard and the story goes that when she first made a call alongside Brighton pier insufficient allowance was made and she very nearly ended up on the promenade.
Waverley in trouble again. She hit the Brodick Pier in Arran today with 17 reported injured.
Old 3rd September 2020, 22:44

Report on BBC website..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-west-54011504
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.JPG (55.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 4th September 2020, 16:02

Oops... I suddose due dink dats fuddy

We all know accidents happen but I would hate to be the guy having to explain this

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 4th September 2020, 18:11

Deja Vu for a similar incident in Torquay in the late 70's early 80's. I don't think she bent her nose that much though. Should have tested the brakes at her last survey.
Old 4th September 2020, 19:00

The Master failed Tmax's first rule of survival;
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
A bit difficult with a broken nose.
Old 4th September 2020, 19:08

Another view. I don't think that they will buff that one out.

The number of injured went up to 24 overnight.
another 7 people maybe decided that they had been hurt after all, just not as bad as those requiring the Air Ambulance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.JPG (116.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 4th September 2020, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
She has a cat - 3 actually! New gensets also recently fitted.

Nic.
Old 5th September 2020, 09:38

PS Waverley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot24 View Post
Its a great pity!
I had the priviledge of being pilot on her in and out of Belfast one sunny summers evening, (We usually get one a year in Belfast) and boy, did I get my eyes opened.
Tiny dinner plate of a rudder and telegraphs to the engine room.
Approach berth at about 8 knots then all hell breaks loose, engine telegraphs going along with berthing telegraphs!!!!

My hair went from jet black to white in a nano second!!!!
Hats off to the lads who manoeuvre her and to those who maintain the gubbins down below.

Me too! That was the way they were manoeuvred by the men who grew up with them. Back then there were no bangs or slamming into walls. I believe this craft has been lost and those few people now at the controls simply are lacking in the ingrained experience required.