Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > Container Vessels

Stranded in the Suez Canal

Old 25th March 2021, 21:21

I have searched the site for what I had hoped would be a learned discussion on how to move the Evergreen box and get the canal opened.
Back in the day, we would certainly have had that debate on the old SN site.
If it is on this site it is well hidden, from me at least.
It seems to me that a ship with this vast area exposed to strong gusty winds was travelling far too fast, master and pilot very much at fault?
I have just heard an 'expert' on tv news saying it would have to be unloaded!
My solution would be plastic explosives to blow the bulbous bow, rudder and screw (or whatever else the ship is snagged on) off.
It will be interesting to see how the job is actually done.
Any ideas lads??
If you had a box ship somewhere near Singapore today, bound for Rotterdam, what course would you set?
Old 25th March 2021, 21:44

If they do have to start to unload her then a trip around the Cape might be a way to go. At least you could have a good idea when ships would arrive. A transit for a ship this size is about $700,000 and last year when demand in Europe dropped and bunker prices collapsed due to the pandemic, that is what many did.
Old 25th March 2021, 22:38

Shades of back in the day when the Suez was closed because of warfare and we plodded to and from the Gulf via the Cape of Good Hope. Helicopter drop of supplies off Capetown (Castle Beer, not a bad drink.)
I've been looking at this on Marine Traffic AIS and that jam is just getting bigger and bigger.
Old 25th March 2021, 22:58

Actually there is a discussion open on SN.
But why not here as well.
The early reports stated that the ship had suffered a 'black out'. I guess that they meant loss of power, and control.
If you look at the AIS track she veers into the West bank and then turns across to the East. Those with experience (unlike me ) suggest that as the ship closes on the bank the water pressure builds to effectively push it away and without power or control the result is as you see it.
Maybe the pilot tried to ease out of the main channel to allow others to pass and it all went wrong.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Shades of back in the day when the Suez was closed because of warfare and we plodded to and from the Gulf via the Cape of Good Hope. Helicopter drop of supplies off Capetown (Castle Beer, not a bad drink.)
I've been looking at this on Marine Traffic AIS and that jam is just getting bigger and bigger.
Bloody good drink.
Particularly as its associated (in my head) with sitting in`t sun.
Old 26th March 2021, 00:10

Edward Cavendish, the wine importers based in Southampton, used to bring Castle Lager in from SA with a large range of wines and spirits from KWV. I haven't seen any imported Castle beer for some time now. I agree it is a good drink.
Old 26th March 2021, 08:32

Stranded in the Suez canal - sounds like a Bruce Springstein song .
Old 26th March 2021, 09:47

Current news reports tell us that a 'sudden gust of wind' was the cause. So my suggestion above might be based on false premise.
They also tell us that it might take weeks to clear.. That part I can believe.
Old 26th March 2021, 09:51

The BBC have nailed the incident. It is a tanker!!!!! Wot a bunch of dumbos.
Old 26th March 2021, 10:24

Present methods to dislodge her with diggers she seem fairly futile - she looks well aground forward. The best hope is probably a couple of big suction dredger getting in real close and rainbowing into the bank. Perhaps they should try running that 80,000 hp engine astern for a while - that'll shift some sand! If it gets to unloading boxes I would buy shares in Castle Lager
Old 26th March 2021, 12:42

I have it on good authority (BBC) the Captain was Del boys Uncle Albert

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried

Anything God didn't create was made by engineers.

I try so hard to make things idiot proof but they keep making better idiots
Old 26th March 2021, 14:06

I'm just surprised that the bum boat men haven't pulled her off yet - or are they still packing up shop.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with Lao Pan Tai Tai (Mrs Lao Pan) when I was teaching her to drive 30 years ago "I think you will find it's too narrow for a 3 point turn" "No I think I can do it" "Told you!"
Old 26th March 2021, 14:21

And Lloyds List reported that the Ever Greet, a sister ship to the one stranded in the canal, had altered its heading and begun to sail for the cape.
Evergreen seem to be sure that their Ever Given is Ever So Stuck
Old 26th March 2021, 14:24

From someone who reversed into a wall on his first driving test I can only commiserate with Mrs. P WRT narrow lanes. I don't think, however, that Suez pilots would use Norfolk Broads' manoeuvring should they attempt a turn of any degree.

(On my second test I was accused of using the mirror too much. The examiner admitted this was an unusual complaint but that I was expected to look ahead occasionally).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 26th March 2021, 19:23

I'm sure the bridge voice recorders will reveal the true cause. As so many similar vessels pass through every day, I can't help but think unless it was a technical fault then complacency of bridge staff / pilot will be the cause.
Old 26th March 2021, 23:40

A couple of big powerful oil industry anchor handlers should get her off.
Old 27th March 2021, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
A couple of big powerful oil industry anchor handlers should get her off.
Possibly, but unless they strengthen the towing points they will do more damage than good. Probably pull the forecastle off!

regards
Dave
Old 27th March 2021, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Mac View Post
Possibly, but unless they strengthen the towing points they will do more damage than good. Probably pull the forecastle off!

regards
Dave
If she was built in China I'd believe it but she was built in Imabari Shipbuilding (Japan) so QC would be ok.
But if the Foreca'stle was pulled off it would reduce the ford draft, good. Did they put divers down? maybe they hit a few Tesco trollies.

What is the profile of the canal at the location, I would have thought that it shelved fairly sharply and did not provide a large area of sand to run aground upon. Ever Given sort of ran into it rather than onto it. Surely to God (which ever one you use) the Canal Authority have such a scenario on their Risk Register and have a palette of solutions???? The crafty Old Dutchman will sort out the stramash and make a few Guilders or Dinars for doing so. Pinksterfest will be good this year.

Last edited by Engine Serang; 27th March 2021 at 09:50.
Old 27th March 2021, 09:45

Yes, the cause is always steering failure or some such. There was a time when new ships were reported to have a number of steering/engine faults, just to build up a history.
Anyway, I reckon that any vessel in such a narrow passage will have to be very carefully handled, especially in Ever Given's loaded condition - the sail area is enormous! A butterfly's wing flap would be enough to throw the ship off course.
Old 27th March 2021, 13:25

The vessel has buried its bulbous bow in the bank, if you lok at the photos of it, you can see that sand has been displaced quite a way behing the port side of the BB. So no matter what size BP tugs you have, and the SCA has some powerful tugs (I attended several Bollard pull tests on there tugs) until the bow area port side is clear, the vessel will not go anywhere. That appears to be what is happening now with the Salvors.
With regard the cause of the incident, it appears that mechanical failure is not the cause, it should be noted that the wind may be a part of it, but also the hydrodynamic situation of the vessel and interaction with the banks, I am not an expert in this, but know people who are.
I smile at some of the comments in the press from "experts" such as the drivvel that the guy on G C***** writes.
With regards to clearing the backlog, the canal currently operates at about 50% capacity, so if it is cleared in the next day or so, which may be possible as the dredging appears to be going well, it could be back to normal service within a week. The main additional problem may be slowdowns passing the area where the bank is damaged.
As one other commentator has said, at least the BBC hasnt got a photo of a tanker, the size of 4 football pitches in the story, which is at least a shade above the normal abysmal coverage of marine incidents.
Old 27th March 2021, 14:15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxferryman View Post
.......... As one other commentator has said, at least the BBC hasnt got a photo of a tanker, the size of 4 football pitches in the story, which is at least a shade above the normal abysmal coverage of marine incidents.
Never mind football pitches, CBC News reporting here that Ever Given, “Weighs as much as 50,000 elephants!”

........ a closed mouth gathers no feet!
Old 27th March 2021, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulpers View Post
Never mind football pitches, CBC News reporting here that Ever Given, “Weighs as much as 50,000 elephants!”
Whatever the unit of measure the press never pin it down.
African or Indian elephants?
American or FA football pitches?
GRT or DWT?
Old 27th March 2021, 14:52

Bloody hooligan elephants upsetting world trade .... !!!
Old 27th March 2021, 14:52

It's not just with shipping that the Beeb hacks spout ballcocks. More than once I've heard reports of a jack-knifed goods vehicle blocking a motorway. Pictures then reveal that it's an overturned rigid truck and, once, a Transit van
Old 27th March 2021, 17:06

That darn wind is everywhere, recently it Blew Joe Biden off of the steps boarding Airforce 1,three times at that.