Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Shipping Lines > Elder Dempster

Wake up call for all ex: ED's.

Old 1st May 2017, 09:19

Wake up call for all ex: ED's.

Come on those ex: ED's personnel hiding out there, this forum on the new site is rather bare! We all have stories to tell! For example 'how many buried their bow into the mangroves navigating 'The Fork' on the way6 up the Creeks? Deepest I ever got in was up to the after end of No. 2 on the old 'DEIDO' and marque St. Hilaire Webber thinking he had left the mate, Ginger Green and the Chippie behind with the parrots. Happy days!!!
Old 1st May 2017, 16:46

Was with Ocean Fleets from beginning of 1970 till the end of 73 but spent most of my time on the China boats, the only ED's I sailed in were the Falabar (1 trip in 1970 and 4 trips in 73) then the Fourah Bay in 73. Didnt manage to get up the creeks, just Tema, Takoradi and Lagos. Enjoyed my time there especially with John Higgins as Bosun, taught me a lot in the wee while we were together.
Old 15th May 2017, 13:53

Heaving the lead. Crossing the Escravos bar into the creeks on the Eboe with Captain Coughlan. In the chains with the hand lead doing my best to keep up with the depth calls with the ship doing 15 knots (or so it seemed) but not meeting the old man's expectations. "What were you doing down there son" he roared. "Swinging the lead sir" I responded. "What??? - land lubbers swing the lead - seamen HEEEAVE the lead". I believe one ship at the fork clipped the trees with the stern and left the old mans dhobie hanging in the trees
Old 29th May 2017, 08:13

I'm NOT a happy bunny as have just 'lost' a lengthy post had written!

Bulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Old 29th May 2017, 08:18

Hi GTP thought you had been rather quiet! I have learnt now on here through several lost posts to type out my post and then copy or cut and paste onto the site. That wat if it does get 'lost' you still have a copy.
Old 3rd June 2017, 14:54

It isn't just me 'losing' then. Admin/Houston "We (seem) to have a problem".

day
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodend View Post
Hi GTP thought you had been rather quiet! I have learnt now on here through several lost posts to type out my post and then copy or cut and paste onto the site. That wat if it does get 'lost' you still have a copy.

Hi John, in 'Sunny SA', GGG {Great Grandpoppa Graham} here from a 'Sunny, SE UK'.

I've calmed down now from my rant, so will try again and do an ongoing copy, updating every paragraph so still have the whole to repost if necessary. {ADMIN PLEASE NOTE!}

My 'idea' and I'd appreciate your thoughts on same John, was to suggest that we each did a daily post here with a specific memory. These to be as brief or lengthy as the subject matter dictates. (1st C).

My 'lost' was by way of a build up with a few personal facts so that my first actual story would conveniently start on June 1st. It's the 3rd today, so here are some of those first 'facts' and assuming I don't 'lose' again I'll commence my first story tomorrow, Sunday June 4 th. (2nd C).

Signed the parchment 9th September '57. Joined first ship ss Cambray 19th September.

Here we go with a "Leggo".
Old 26th October 2020, 17:35

Still finding my way around this site - harder than finding my way back to the ship in Apapa. It seems that the last posts for ED's was back in 2017. Is there still any ED's still alive and kicking?
Old 31st December 2020, 16:09

Exclamation Spotter 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotter185 View Post
Still finding my way around this site - harder than finding my way back to the ship in Apapa. It seems that the last posts for ED's was back in 2017. Is there still any ED's still alive and kicking?
Still waiting for a reply to my message. Do I presume that all ED's sea staff have crossed the bar?!?