Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > Historic Shipping Lines & Ships

Wongala - On the Explosives Milk Run Part II

Old 3rd January 2022, 21:29

Wongala - On the Explosives Milk Run Part II

Another interesting feature of these western ports of Greymouth and Westport was the fact that the wharves were situated up the rivers. The tide and current was so strong that every hawser we had was utilised and in addition, the anchor had to be unshipped and the cable made fast ashore. For these arrivals and departures it was a case of all hands (including the cook), these two ports were definitely not our favorites. One of the main drawbacks of the run was the fact that, for obvious reasons, the majority of the anchorages were so far from the main port areas which resulted in us not being able to become acquainted with them as we we would have done on a general run. The voyage was normally completed at Nelson where a full load of timber was taken on board, this included a substantial deck cargo which created many difficulties during the crossing of the Tasman and was often a very sad and sorry sight on arrival in Sydney with the timber made fast with temporary “Spanish Windlasses” where the pack bindings had let go, It was not unusual for timber to be seen protruding over the bulwarks or through the washports.

On the early voyages the galley range was oil fired and this provided a major problem. When the ship rolled to starboard the flow of oil was cut off, then when she rolled to port a jet of oil hit the red hot burner setting off quite an explosion and it was not unknown for the meal to be deposited on the deck, as I had been given the opportunity to increase my pay to A.B’s rate by undertaking the cooks duties, I was extremely pleased when they replaced the oil burner with a briquette slow combustion stove. The only problem that created was what to do with the briquette ash in a gale! The wheel was another trial – being heavier than any other wheel I have ever sailed with and it often took the Master or Mate to assist when navigating in enclosed waters. Later it was fitted with a brass channel around the perimeter on to which a v belt was fitted running to two electric motors. These were operated by buttons and definitely made the spell on the wheel much more acceptable. It was a great pity that this embellishment had not been fitted on one particular voyage however when the New Zealand Pilot insisted on giving his orders in compass points, pity our compass only showed degrees where it was reflected down from monkey island. Considering the Master was not only assisting with the wheel but also mentally converting points to degrees, it made for a very interesting arrival and a very harassed Pilot. Another interesting time was had in New Zealand on one voyage when it was decided to hold a boat drill. Wongala must have been one of the last vessels built with radial davits and all I can say is that we were all extremely pleased that she carried inflatables on board as I would hate to try and launch a lifeboat from a radial davit in any kind of sea or in an emergency.

Regarding the other two vessels mentioned, they were mainly engaged trading to the small Tasmanian ports, Bantry Bay (the explosives wharf through the split bridge in Sydney), and Adelaide and I was very saddened on a recent holiday to Tasmania to see the desolate appearance of the wharves at Ulverstone & Stanley whereas they used to be a hive of activity with ketches calling continuously. Never the less, all in all the ketches were happy ships, uncomfortable in bad weather, those with a foc’sle were usuall wet but the mateship was unforgettable and, I believe, proved to be a great school for the future where pay and conditions became secondary to earning a living. In the 5 years that I sailed in them I do not recall any incident of theft and when one considers that there was little or no security in the foc’sle or even the Wongala's cabins that surely is somethoing to look back on with pride to have been a part of crews like that.

Note: My father went on to become Snr Purser with the likes of ANL, Dominion Line and Nauru Pacific (or as he called it Nauru Pathetic).

Photos:

Macdonald - A history of men and the sea