Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > Passenger Liners

Article on Donaldson's LISMORIA & LAURENTIA

Old 23rd June 2022, 02:57

Article on Donaldson's LISMORIA & LAURENTIA

I have published an article on Donaldson Line's LISMORIA & LAURENTIA in my blog "Wanted On Voyage"

https://wantedonthevoyage.blogspot.c...-lismoria.html

Peter Kohler
Old 23rd June 2022, 13:21

Thank you Peter for a great story about a fine Shipping Company I enjoyed it very much, I made 4 voyages on two of Donalsons,1 on the Moveria in 1949 and 3 on the Norwegian in 1951. Matter of fact when the Norwegian was being converted from a coal burner to oil I worked for a couple of weeks while the shipyard did the work on the change over and then sailed on her on her first voyage as a oil burner. Good crews and excellent feeder. Sorry day when the closed down.
Old 24th June 2022, 21:35

Hello, John... many thanks and glad you enjoyed it.

This is my second Donaldson project (the first being ATHENIA/LETITIA) and I found out, secondhand of course, what high esteem they were and still are held in as a company to work for and as passengers. And of course, family run to the very end which even in 1967 was becoming a real rarity.

It's always a good ship quiz question to ask what the senior British line was to the St. Lawrence (well after Allan Line was gobbled up by CP) and everyone assumes CP or Cunard when, of course, it was Donaldson Line!

Peter Kohler
Old 4th August 2022, 19:24

Sounds a fine company. I didn’t sail with them but in 1970 I spent 9 months on the Letitia but by that time she was the Bibi, on long term charter to TMM, the Mexican line and managed by J & J Denholms A fine ship, we loaded in Bremen, Hamburg, Rotterdam, Antwerp & Le Havre. Then over to Mexico Vera Cruz, Tampico, Coatzacoalcos and Progresso in Yucatan for honey in drums before finishing in New Orlean Then back to Europe and do it all again Very enjoyable!