Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Shipping Lines > Blue Funnel Line

Welcome to the Blue Funnel shipping forum.

Old 25th April 2017, 09:43

Welcome to the Blue Funnel shipping forum.

I have looked at starting a thread here for a few days,but felt that with only three trips and once round the land as sum total of my time, I hoped someone else would pile in first.

Menestheus
Cyclops
Astyanax
Glenogle

I always felt I saw a good cross section of the classes, and every one beautiful ships. I wish I had sailed on a P boat, I did visit Super P Priam in Durban on her maiden trip.
Old 25th April 2017, 19:46

I sailed in the first two of those ships FJ. Cyclops was a good solid 'A' boat, constructed for carrying pilgrims.
Menestheus however was one of the six 'M' class. They were built between 1957 and 1960, and were not nearly as handy on deck as the 'A' class. I sailed in all of the 'M' boats, and disliked every one of them.
The best Blueys in my opinion were the 4 'P' boats and the 4 'H' boats, all steam turbine powered ocean greyhounds, lovely ships.
Best regards,
Pat
Old 25th April 2017, 20:45

Pat, was the M class a sort of transition? McGregor hatches, some Air-con, but not much that was radical. I wish I had spent enough time/done enough trips to be able to make a choice, they were all just amazing to a 17 year old lad, and an 18 year old one too. Coasting the Astyanax was a great experience too, we were always dirty, always moving, always on standby and it was exciting and hard work. I did quite a few night watches, and liked it, only person around but with someone to call out if you had to, it made me feel quite responsible, which of course, I was.

You got it shoved at you, and more if you could take it, and I liked that.
Old 25th April 2017, 20:59

Yes the McGregor lids on the 'M' boats were a revelation and possibly the only good thing about them. The Air conditioning was rudimentary to say the least, and only installed, as far as the ratings were concerned, in the messroom and recreation room.
I also enjoyed coasting, as you say you were always on the move, always topping or dropping the derricks, hatch cleaning, and on stations. No chipping, painting or sugi. Plus getting ashore almost every night in some of Northern Europe's major ports
I first coasted on Peleus, two weeks in Glasgow then back to Birkenhead, the next one was Eumaeus. We joined her in Hull, and then went to Hamburg, Bremerhaven, Bremen, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Avonmouth before arriving back in Birkenhead after four weeks of hard but very enjoyable work.
Best Regards,
Pat

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 1st May 2017 at 16:49.
Old 26th April 2017, 12:51

ahh the bluies .hiya pat jumped ship ,glad to find you again tony
Old 26th April 2017, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony allen View Post
ahh the bluies .hiya pat jumped ship ,glad to find you again tony
Hello Tony, hope you are well.
I'm just recovering from cataract surgery which I had this morning in St Cath's hospital in B'head, and so far all appears to be ok.
At the moment I'm still continuing with Ship's Nostalgia as well as joining this new site. We will see how it all pans out.
Best regards,
Pat
Old 26th April 2017, 20:41

I have just been signed off from having my cataracts done, both eyes. Brilliant! And that describes what I can see. Best luck to you, it changes your life.

I remember locking out of Avonmouth, someone put a big log fender out and we bumped it. It exploded into flames. Very impressive.

Last edited by Farmer John; 26th April 2017 at 20:43.
Old 28th April 2017, 16:55

Thanks FJ. Already my vision in my right eye has improved substantially. A quick, painless procedure with minimal discomfort.
Avonmouth was one of my favourite ports. There were two good pubs close to the dock gates, The Miles Arms and The Royal. A short trip on the train took you to the Severn Beach Hotel which was awash with girls.
We sometimes drydocked in Mountstewart drydock after discharging cargo, and so we often got a week or two in Avonmouth, long enough to form lasting attachments. I was engaged to a local girl in Shirehampton for a couple of years, but the logistics of going down to Bristol whenever I was home on leave defeated us.
Regards,
Pat
Old 28th April 2017, 18:43

I was talked into leaving blue funnel by my then girlfriend and get married big let down OK when I came home on leave but once ashore cracks appeared faster than the titanic
then down to mann island got a blue star ship the same day by midnight I was gone .when I got back gave her my payoff my house and just kept my suitcase ,then ex wife next stop
Old 28th April 2017, 18:48

pat kennedy

hope all goes well with eyes pat but let it take its time .cheers
Old 28th April 2017, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Yes the McGregor lids on the 'M' boats were a revelation and possibly the only good thing about them. The Air conditioning was rudimentary to say the least, and only installed in the messroom and recreation room.
I also enjoyed coasting, as you say you were always on the move, always topping or dropping the derricks, hatch cleaning, and on stations. No chipping, painting or sugi. Plus getting ashore almost every night in some of Northern Europe's major ports
I first coasted on Peleus, two weeks in Glasgow then back to Birkenhead, the next one was Eumaeus. We joined her in Hull, and then went to Hamburg, Bremerhaven, Bremen, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Avonmouth before arriving back in Birkenhead after four weeks of hard but very enjoyable work.
Best Regards,
Pat

Now now Pat- "dropping" derricks. Not Blue Funnel speak- one "lowered" derricks in the China.

You know who I am.

BW

J
Old 29th April 2017, 18:56

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Oilskin View Post

Now now Pat- "dropping" derricks. Not Blue Funnel speak- one "lowered" derricks in the China.

You know who I am.

BW

J
I know who you are John.
Old Oilskin? that's a strange monicker, Ive got an old souwester to go with it!

When you spent a few months in the shore gang, as I did, the derricks were very definitely dropped. That band of brothers, anxious to get up the road into the Duke, could flatten an 'A' boat out in ten minutes!
Old 30th April 2017, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Likewise J and for a moment thought "hallo hallo" until I recognised that familiar old sig..
One thing about these MN sites is you live and learn and as Jack Tar ashore (asap) I never gave a thought to who did all the preparation for cargo discharge @ Gladstone.
Always thought it would have been done by the aboard BF crew so why a shore gang?
There were no deck crew on board in Liverpool or Birkenhead until sailing day, we were all on leave.
So, Holts had two large shore gangs, one based at Vittoria Dock and the other at Gladstone Dock.
The shore gang boarded inbound vessels in the locks and by the time the ship was alongside the berth, they had everything ready for the dockers to start working cargo.
Similarly when a ship was preparing for sea, the shore gang covered the hatches and battened everything down. a few stayed on board until the locks if necessary.
When I was in the Birkenhead shore gang, there were over fifty men in it and the shore bosun was Sid Bainbridge.
Other duties were shifting ship from one dock to another, which happened fairly often, and to man the quayside and locks to handle the moorings, a miserable job at midnight in a gale on Gladstone Lock bullnose.
We also renewed mooring ropes and rigging, loaded stores, rigged heavy lift gear for the dockers when necessary, and performed any other tasks as required.
Regards
Pat
Old 1st May 2017, 09:54

Smile

Pat

Was there a Blue Funnel shore gang in Glasgow?

Never shared a broom or shovel with them down the hatches or gathered/stowed dunnage with them, however seem to recall some assistance on mooring stations/dry docking.

R651400 - no this will remain a BD free site.

BW

J
Old 1st May 2017, 12:51

there was a catering shore gang at oddessey .there always seemed to 3 ships in victoria docks at the same time .one ready for sea. one from gladstone and one from coasting.after leave we reported to mr sparrow.jobs were soogying the alleyways after the chinease catering had left the ship.changing mattresses..that to get called in after he had looked at you reports from the last trip re the chefs and chief stewards also to see who had been at sea at christmas and give you one that would be back or vice versa.once you had been assigned a ship the days before sailing .it was store loading .the the shore gang would load it on deck in slings if poss .but spuds were always on ya back.small kegs of beer which we never saw again ,was always for the upper bar ,bond was loaded under the eye of the black gang and first mate and chief steward .no chance of a swiped one.when i was told to sign on the first day before sailing was to go thru the food and fridge lockers to check the stores lists with the chef .always had a good meal tho.while on the gang .and see mates that were also signing on.never remember sailing in daylight was always in the dark .got my head down soon as aboard knowing it was a 6am call the first day and get back into a sea going routine...do it all again great gangs of lads
5 years got my education on blue funnel..cheers
Old 1st May 2017, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Oilskin View Post
Pat

Was there a Blue Funnel shore gang in Glasgow?

Never shared a broom or shovel with them down the hatches or gathered/stowed dunnage with them, however seem to recall some assistance on mooring stations/dry docking.

R651400 - no this will remain a BD free site.

BW

J
Yes John, there was a small shore gang in Glasgow. There were only about a dozen or so, and their leader was a Teuchter named Hector. They basically handled moorings but also provided on board labour if there was a ship whose deck crowd had paid off, as happened from time to time.
regards,
Pat
Old 1st May 2017, 15:09

Smile

Quote:
there was a catering shore gang at oddessey .there always seemed to 3 ships in victoria docks at the same time .one ready for sea. one from gladstone and one from coasting.after leave we reported to mr sparrow.jobs were soogying the alleyways after the chinease catering had left the ship.changing mattresses..that to get called in after he had looked at you reports from the last trip re the chefs and chief stewards also to see who had been at sea at christmas and give you one that would be back or vice versa.once you had been assigned a ship the days before sailing .it was store loading .the the shore gang would load it on deck in slings if poss .but spuds were always on ya back.small kegs of beer which we never saw again ,was always for the upper bar ,bond was loaded under the eye of the black gang and first mate and chief steward .no chance of a swiped one.when i was told to sign on the first day before sailing was to go thru the food and fridge lockers to check the stores lists with the chef .always had a good meal tho.while on the gang .and see mates that were also signing on.never remember sailing in daylight was always in the dark .got my head down soon as aboard knowing it was a 6am call the first day and get back into a sea going routine...do it all again great gangs of lads
5 years got my education on blue funnel..cheers
Tony,
I recall the catering shore gang in Birkenhead, and Mr Sparrow, bowler hat and glasses. They were always nagging the dockers to hoist stores aboard at No 4 hatch rather than handball up the gangway, and I dont blame them for that,
Do you remember the major inspection of the accommodation carried out by all the shoreside functionaries on sailing day. Sparrow was part of that crew, plus the woman who designed all the cabin furnishings and matching bedding/bunk curtains. She also chose the handful of 45rpm gramophone records which were placed in the crew rec room, usually the current top ten and a couple of highbrow classical ones which generally ended up in Vittoria Dock before we even set sail.
my abiding memory of sailing day on a Bluey was the pervasive smell of French polish in all the accommodation, and the stench of gas oil out on deck.
As you say Tony, they always seemed to sail at night, and usually in foul weather.
Best regards Pat.
PS the clarity of vision in my right eye only 5 days since the cataract was removed is nothing short of astonishing. I can drive and watch tv without specs for the first time in years.

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 1st May 2017 at 22:13.
Old 1st May 2017, 17:25

Your sight will change for some time, if my experience is typical. You start to notice sharpness and better colours within an hour of it being done. I found it a lot better experience than going to the dentist. Anyone thinking about it, just have it done. I had stopped driving and could not read a book by the time I had mine done, and that came on in about 9 months.

The massive organisation that was Blue Funnel worked so well, but I suppose it was like a swan, there was a lot of paddling going on under the gliding exterior.
Old 1st May 2017, 19:21

pat kennedy so good to hear that pat .now you can see the new breed of ladies at the new new brighton .that might bring a spring in your step,don't get over there now my son and family live with me .did like my sunday pub lunch by the prom .yeah this sailing days everyone was up the wall until they buggered off .cheers tony

Last edited by tony allen; 1st May 2017 at 19:24.
Old 1st May 2017, 19:37

Quote:
pat kennedy so good to hear that pat .now you can see the new breed of ladies at the new new brighton .that might bring a spring in your step,don't get over there now my son and family live with me .did like my sunday pub lunch by the prom .yeah this sailing days everyone was up the wall until they buggered off .cheers tony
Very true Tony, I was down at New Brighton yesterday and had a carvery lunch in the Queens, very nice it was too.
Another thing on sailing day, they gave the ship's whistle a good workout as part of that inspection.
The sound of that two tone horn blasting out six or seven times echoed all over Birkenhead and Wallasey. little kids in school would nod wisely and say, 'Another bluey sailing'.

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 2nd May 2017 at 19:19.
Old 1st May 2017, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Your sight will change for some time, if my experience is typical. You start to notice sharpness and better colours within an hour of it being done. I found it a lot better experience than going to the dentist. Anyone thinking about it, just have it done. I had stopped driving and could not read a book by the time I had mine done, and that came on in about 9 months.

The massive organisation that was Blue Funnel worked so well, but I suppose it was like a swan, there was a lot of paddling going on under the gliding exterior.
Thanks FJ,
It really is amazing what such a simple procedure can do. Its like a new lease of life, and the glasses have been stowed in a drawer in the kitchen.
Blue Funnel was indeed a smooth and well run operation. I don't think they left anything to chance, everything was a belt and braces job, they hired the best people, and they hung on to them.
Best Regards,
Pat
Old 1st May 2017, 21:41

The company did look after me, I became ill after the first trip on the Menestheus, they let things roll till could go back, did a trip on Cyclops, illness carried on, more time off, did round the land with Astyanax, sorted for a trip on Agapenor till BR lost my luggage, fixed me a trip on Glenogle, they let things ride,after a long break they put me on MAR to hold things, then I had to quit, still not right, and they worked with me and my parents to find ships and trips. I was out with best wishes and a nice good bye letter. Remember the company and the time with great fondness.
Old 1st May 2017, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Very true Tony, I was down at New Brighton yesterday and had a carvery lunch in the Queens, very nice it was too.
Another thing on sailing day, the gave the ship's whistle a good workout as part of that inspection.
The sound of that two tone horn blasting out six or seven times echoed all over Birkenhead and Wallasey. little kids in school would nod wisely and say, 'Another bluey sailing'.
thats the one pat could not remember the name very good carvery and they don't rush you out the door when done let you finished your drink also has a nice little bar in the corner cheers
Old 3rd May 2017, 19:49

Quote:
thats the one pat could not remember the name very good carvery and they don't rush you out the door when done let you finished your drink also has a nice little bar in the corner cheers
Tony,
Another good pub for Sunday lunch is The Egremont Ferry. Get a table by the window and you have a panoramic view of the Mersey from Seaforth Dock right down to The Pier Head and beyond. The grub is delicious and so are the waitresses!
Get your family to take you there Tony, you wont regret it.
Best regards,
Pat
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:02

trying to get in the wheelchair .just get a little carsick now so short trips only .but need to get further afield to see my step G/daughter and new baby over there
just how nice it would be to see a couple of blues tied up in victoria dock .now that would spur me on ..cheers