Go Back   Shipping History > Miscellaneous/Other forum Issues > Computers and The Internet

Windows V Linux

Old 5th January 2018, 23:06

Windows V Linux

I have had many windows problems over the years. I had a computer tech reinstall it a few days ago and also install Linux with a partition. At the moment i am starting to get used to Linux. Anyone got any comments on their experience with Linux?
Old 5th January 2018, 23:42

It's a good operating system and especially as it's free, and enormous amounts of free software is available. The only limitation you might encounter is if you're using specific kinds of peripheral hardware as sometimes there is no Linux version of the interlinking software. But that's only if you have such installations.

Failing that, it's well worth of using.

I'm not a lover of dual boot systems myself, but use separate plug in hard drives to swap out the OS.
Old 7th January 2018, 04:55

W10 v Linux

Used Linux dual booted with Windows for quite a while with success, however found that Linux takes over the bios with it's own system which can be very difficult to remove and is reluctant to give up control.
Don't know if Bob or others have any experience in this area but I would recommend a little caution and research into this if appropriate.
In the end, when I upgraded to W10 I dumped it and went clean Windows.

Compliments of the season to all !!!

Chas
Old 7th January 2018, 14:05

Can only second what Bob said. Excellent O.S.
Once you get used to it, I'm sure you'll appreciate just how good it is.
Old 16th June 2018, 15:29

I migrated to Linux over 10 years ago, and never looked back.
I've never "dual-booted" with Windows and I'm horrified by all the issues folk seem to get, especially with Win 10 - I thought things were supposed to improve with time, hmmm.

There are instances when Linux won't suffice but they're few and far between, and a good search of t'Internet often provides answers.
Not that good for gaming, or so I believe, but not being a gamer, I can't comment further.

One thing not mentioned above [unless I missed it] is the security of Linux compared to Windows and even Mac.
Not infallible, but way way better.

Last edited by topol; 16th June 2018 at 15:30. Reason: correcting line spacing
Old 16th June 2018, 18:49

topol,

Having Tux as your avatar is a bit of a clue as to your preference in OS.

My main systems are Windows but I use a separate machine for Ubuntu Linux - Same as using a Mac if I want to play with any of that OS.

It used to be the case that mainstream Linux iterations would work on older hardware but that not longer holds - You need to use a 'lite' version on older kit, so I have found.

It is just a pity that Linux cannot yet be used on a tablet. Don't mention Android, I really hate Android, or maybe I have just been unlucky.
Old 16th June 2018, 19:25

Android, wot Android?

Your'e right about lite versions but it's a boon for those with older devices - like those on a pension.......

Your avatar is no give-away, however.
Old 26th June 2018, 01:07

I have duel Boot up. Windows 8.1 and "Lubuntu" Its quite similar to windows, easy to use. Had no problems so far.
"Lubuntu" is a lighter version of linux and operates just like windows.
Old 26th June 2018, 04:35

I tried Linux on a seperate machine a few years ago , but reverted to Windows, still prefer Windows 7 to Windows 10
Old 27th June 2018, 11:35

Me too Rob. My wife has a laptop with Windows 10 and I can't get to grips with it. Mind she only uses her laptop for eBay and Youtube! I have 2 desktop pc's and a laptop with Windows 7 on them and get along very nicely with this OS
Have tried Linux at various times but I am too used to MS and it doesn't work for me.
Old 28th June 2018, 22:45

I have a mini PC that I would like to install Linux on. Can anyone give me some tips as to finding where I have left the damn thing?
Old 28th June 2018, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I have a mini PC that I would like to install Linux on. Can anyone give me some tips as to finding where I have left the damn thing?

It's probably in the cupboard next to the one containing my car battery charger.
Old 29th June 2018, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G View Post
It's probably in the cupboard next to the one containing my car battery charger.
No, I've looked there.
Old 29th June 2018, 16:43

Quote:

As time marches on and the years condemn. I have found it essential to plan very carefully where I store things away in case I forget where they are -- or even forget what they are. This works except upon the occasions where I put things in the wrong store and then, after a year or three stumble on them and wonder (a) WTF is that? and (b) what did I buy that for? That is not necessarily a bad thing though because it is an intellectual challenge to stimulate a failing memory and resist the memory loss of dementia (although it has no discernible effect on memory loss due to alcohol).

I have though learned that when seeking something that I know I had and can't find in my store categories, it will either have been taken by the ghosts that haunt my house and delight in hiding my things in which case it is beyond recovery. Alternatively it will be a spare computer hard drive or something kept as a possible essential spare and which somehow turns up in a box labelled "Assorted nuts and bolts" two weeks after I have bought another one.

That is the real world sadly where inanimate objects have evolved to hide from human users, and are hostile to the extent that when you rediscover one it will cut your finger getting it out of the box. Its power supply will be in another box and be unidentifiable among the dozens of others accumulated over time but never labelled. It will not bear any indications of what its power supply should be, and all those sorts of things yearn to be martyrs, so plugging it into the wrong supply chosen at a guess will burn your house down!

Sadly, FJ, I can only suggest that you buy another mini-PC and try to remember where you put it the last time you used it. Good luck with that!
Old 29th June 2018, 17:10

I had a very low time about 12 years ago, I still keep finding things I have bought for projects, then bought again and then found the first one. But I'm all right NOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Things weren't helped by having to clear 3 houses when people died, and I can't throw anything out.
Old 29th June 2018, 19:13

The problem we have with modern technology is the rate at which something becomes outdated … in fact more that that … a sort of an ancient joke … you know … like those mass produced stuffed birds that got put into the pyramids of the Pharaohs to help them on the passage to who knows where, clearly the product quality control manager wasn't always doing his job because some of the birds were pretty bloody disconnected. (Heads fastened to @ssholes, pay was crap, union was crap … what the f*** do they expect, even back then.)

I hate throwing things away that still work, no matter how old or out dated they are. So I've still got hard drives in external docks with a capacity of 30 Mbytes …. (if nothing else you can back up your shortcuts) and they work fine. I just can't bring myself to throw them away … THEY STILL WORK FOR F***S sake.

Of course this means I've go drawers full of old bits of kit which I know will never be used again … but sod it … I refuse to skip something with a high degree of precision engineering that still works.

After I'm gone, some other poor sod will have to sort it out.
Old 29th June 2018, 19:49

Or, to put it another way: If you want an old mini computer then we could sell you one, because we have one or two spares, if we knew which one was the spare and where we put it.

I tried selling old PCs etc on ebay but for some reason they attract the idiots who bid at the last minute and then fail to pay, meaning that ebay cancel the sale and you have to start again....
Old 3rd July 2018, 17:34

Quote:
No, I've looked there.

It might have been programmed to go and find the spacers I bought for the flymo 2 years ago, and which decided to set out on their own sometime since.
Old 21st July 2018, 15:43

Quote:
After a 3 day search for my vehicle registration document, amongst the improbable things I found (An unopened bottle of beer! what's going on there) I have found my little PC. Where do I go now? I have a pair of mole grips and a half pair of scissors so I am ready to rock, if someone can give me some directions.

Last edited by Farmer John; 21st July 2018 at 15:50.
Old 21st July 2018, 19:14

You could play the hand game of scissors, mole grips and thermonuclear weapon. You clap your hands and choose which implement to deploy.

The general strategy is to choose thermonuclear weapon, after which it's 'game over.'

A silly game really.
Old 21st July 2018, 20:30

Mole grips and half a scissor maybe not needed, it depends on whether you need to change the hard drive then they could useful. Bottle of beer would, however, definitely be useful;

You would go far wrong to start here:
https://lubuntu.net/

If you have done anything like it before then do that again.

If not - After download, make an ISO disc and use that to boot the machine. If it won't take a disc then you can make a bootable USB stick, but it is a tad more complicated and needs another utility to be downloaded and used to prep the drive.
Old 21st July 2018, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
You could play the hand game of scissors, mole grips and thermonuclear weapon. You clap your hands and choose which implement to deploy.

The general strategy is to choose thermonuclear weapon, after which it's 'game over.'

A silly game really.
The very early versions of this game, Rock, became much better when someone invented Paper and later on, Scissors.
Old 21st July 2018, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G View Post
If you have done anything like it before then do that again.
That was like my sex education. I was 55 before I sussed it out.
Old 22nd July 2018, 16:13

Quote:
That was like my sex education. I was 55 before I sussed it out.

Or if you got involved with a teacher :-

'You'll just keep on doing it until you get it right'
(Spirit willing-flesh weak)