Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Vintage Vehicles, classic cars etc...

Ford corsair

Old 6th September 2023, 18:15

Ford corsair

My 1965 ford Corsair 1500cc i had .

Was courting my wife then , married in 1966

Tony
img015.jpg
Old 6th September 2023, 18:27

Mine was a silver 2000E.
When the Corsair first arrived it was one of the first British saloon cars without defined front 'wings', which appealed to me.

Obviously mine was second hand, I bought it from a colleague who was trading up and let me have it for the price that the garage were going to give him.
Nice engine, super gear box but mine had a noisy differential which I rebuilt.

About a month after I sold it someone spotted it with a Macpherson strut trying to escape the bonnet - seems that my timing was good.
Old 7th September 2023, 15:29

The father (Mr. Holgate) of a schoolmate worked for Reynolds,the Ford dealership in Dagenham. One Saturday morning a brand new Corsair V4 pulled up outside our house and my mate and his Dad got out. Mr. Holgate locked the car and came in for a cup of tea and a chat about the brand new model. At this time Dad's chariot was a 1960 MKII Ford Zephyr, so Mr Holgate invited Dad to have a look around and sit in the shiny new Corsair. This Dad did, unlocking the car with the key to his Zephyr. Mr. Holgate was amazed. He thought it was a fluke, but after demonstrating that it worked several times he accepted that Ford's security measures weren't quite up to scratch. Fortunately for Mr Holgate, Dad's ignition key didn't work in the Corsair. Apparently Ford only used a small number of different locks on their vehicles, so the chances of the keys from a Ford Anglia or Zephyr fitting a Transit, for example, were pretty good. However, after a number of surreptitious experiments, we discovered Dad's key to the door of the Zephyr fitted just about every Ford car or van that we tried it in.

Dad sold the Zephyr to a young Police Constable.
Old 7th September 2023, 17:21

Ah yes, the Ford community ownership scheme…
Worked well for me when someone parked a Ford in the way and it needed a little ‘shifting’.