Go Back   Shipping History > Shipping Discussion > Ships, Shipping & Maritime Interests > Historic Shipping Lines & Ships

Newby looking for historical pics and info (1890's Mediterranean Cargo)

Old 28th August 2018, 16:34

Newby looking for historical pics and info (1890's Mediterranean Cargo)

Hi all, I've just joined. Very cool website!

I'm a newby ships enthusiast and a newby amateur author (I have one book published). I am looking to write a new project that takes place in the mid 1890s. I need general info (a photo would be great!) of what a decent size cargo ship might have generally looked like in the Mediterranean in 1896. I would prefer that it already have a few years on it by '96. My character is a seven year old boy who stows away in a ship leaving an Eastern Spain port, bound for Italy, and other ports.

So, it needs to be a ship that would fit such a route, in size and design, and large enough that my young character can remain undetected for at least long enough that, once discovered, the Captain must opt to take him along.

I'm not wanting to write about a specific ship, but a fictional one that I can invent, based on real designs of that era.

If this sounds interesting to you, I could use advice on possible stow away locations in a ship of that era, as well as duties that he might be called upon to perform to earn his keep. Information about possible shipping routes of that time would be super helpful. I'm thinking that they should make a stop in Algiers along the way. Is that even a possibility for that time?

If this is not the place to ask questions like these, can you give me advice on where/how I might find some shipping history enthusaists who might dig this kind of stuff?

Thanks,
Chris