Go Back   Shipping History > Members Area > Say Hello

Hi, all

Old 13th December 2021, 03:28

Hi, all

I'm Kirk Lorange, I'm now 72. My mother (she's now 101!) is English, my late father was Canadian. His job with an American tire company took us to many places in my childhood: Mexico, Venezuela, Cuba and Belgium. The family moved back to Camada in 1963. It was too cold for me so I started traveling back to Europe. A woman I met in London lured me down to Australia in 1975 and I've been here ever since. I met a new woman in '86 and we have a 14-year-old daughter. She dances.

I'm a guitarist, I play in studios and bands and I now teach online. I lived in Sydney for a long time but moved north in '96 and wound up on a plateau in behind the Gold Coast called Tamborine Mountain. It's quite beautiful.

I've had three experiences on ships. The first was a trip from New York City to Caracas on a beautiful white ship ... the Santa Rosa. It was 1955, I was a kid but I remember it well.

The second was the trip I describe here: https://www.shippinghistory.com/showthread.php?t=5452

The third was about 5 years ago. My Sydney band took part in 'Rock The Boat', a 7-day cruise out of Sydney to Noumea and back on the 'Radiance of the Seas'. It was a rock'n'roll cruise with about 20 Aussie bands, all playing different venues every night, and a couple of thousand rock'n'roll fans. It was about as fun as it gets. We all knew each other, the food was great, the weather perfect, I had my own cabin-with-balcony. And we got paid for it!

That's my story ... or a snippet of it, anyway.

EDIT: I just did a bit of Googling about the Santa Rosa. My memory was of a white ship and maybe that's because I looked it up a few years ago and saw a white Santa Rosa at Google Images. But I just learned that it was built in 1956 ... a year after our trip. Then I learned that there was an older Santa Rosa, a black two-funnel job, that was retired in 1956 and replaced by the new single-funnel Santa Rosa. So ... mystery solved.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grace-lines-santaships-poster.jpg (38.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by planetalk; 13th December 2021 at 03:43.
Old 13th December 2021, 09:09
Super Moderator

Kirk

Welcome to SH.
Old 13th December 2021, 11:11
Super Moderator

Kirk,

Welcome to SH.

Neville
Old 14th December 2021, 00:45

A very good introduction, Kirk. Thank you. I also enjoyed your other story about your crossing to England in 1966. Welcome onboard.
Rgds.
Dave