Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > The Pig & Whistle

Worrying: Kiss of Death?

Old 2nd January 2020, 21:04

Prison slang 'Pontoon' is a 21 month sentence.
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:36

Dartmouth Street Secondary Modern School was similar to a convent !!

..insomuch as it was on the same planet ... (ish)
Old 3rd January 2020, 01:09

My Irish friend didn't make it sounds so bad. Except for the time she and some friends escaped in Nuns' habits and were sneaked upon when ordering pints of Guinness at a nearby hostelry.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan
Old 8th January 2020, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makko View Post
Naut:
Clarifier - For LO
Purifier - For FO

My experience:

Fuel oil purifier then clarifier
Lub oil purifier only.

I seem to recall the clarifier removes water, not solids, and does not have a gravity disc.
Old 8th January 2020, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple82 View Post
My experience:

Fuel oil purifier then clarifier
Lub oil purifier only.

I seem to recall the clarifier removes water, not solids, and does not have a gravity disc.
The purifier removes the solids to the outside and then to the sludge discharge, water out of the top to sludge tank. FO in the middle, to the day tank.

Two experiences come to mind:

-Middle East bunkers, excess wax/paraffin derivatives. The "sludge" discharge resembled a never ending turd: We just removed the sight glass and let it discharge to the plates and then get the oilers to wash it down, with high pressure spray, to the sludge tank. A nightmare! Sludge was disposed to shoreside for safe disposal.

-Alaska bunkers, SG over 1.0. We swapped the oil and water discharges. More FO coming from the water discharge. Then purify again with the largest available discs.

Clarifier, by name, only removes solids. If you have H2o in your LO, then you have serious problems!

Rgds.
Dave
Old 8th January 2020, 12:25

There is a good animation from Alfa Laval. Just google ALCAP YouTube.
Old 12th April 2020, 17:03

For those ex sparkies who might be a little bored at the moment, and can afford a new laptop.

https://github.com/veggiedefender/op...ster/README.md
Old 12th April 2020, 17:59

I just saw Dave's post and remembered that this thread was started by Naytikos, located on the Cayman Islands - Just checked, and his last login was way back in 2018. Does anyone know what happened to him?
Rgds.
Dave
Old 12th April 2020, 18:24

Thing is Dave … having worked in schools for the last few years of my working life, I had to deal with teachers who thought it cool to slam their laptops shut. (Not helped by f****** TV and Movies I might add.) Often with pens and other implements resting above the keyboard.
Anybody who has ever worked on repairing laptops will tell you they're sent from HELL. There's no standardisation (as with PC's) and some manufacturers have made working on them more complicated than a 20 cube a side Rubik .
So when I see this my first thought is: 'Space the f*****' (it used to be: 'throw the f***** over the wall' .. but we have to move with the SciFi times.)
Old 12th April 2020, 18:51

A good idea Bob, with a message scrawled on the casing it will still communicate when it lands.
Old 12th April 2020, 19:19

Repairing laptops? Got to agree. But what about tablets? Even consecutive series of iPads have totally different ribbon cable configurations and socketing.
When you think you've got it sorted someone hands you a newer one with a broken screen, yes they all have broken screens..... Start learning again.

btw; for the Morse app you don't need a new laptop to start, but you will probably need a new one by the time you have finished playing.
Old 12th April 2020, 19:43

Whenever somebody say's to me: "Should I buy a tablet, a laptop or a PC ? " I always give them the same answer.

If you're working from home and you want it to perform, using up to three monitors (or more) if necessary, easily upgradeable and very reliable … buy a PC.

If you travel a lot, and need to look at a squinty eyed screen on the move and are prepared to replace it at silly cost every three years … buy a laptop.

If you like impressing people in the pub with your connectivity as you ruin your eyesight … buy a tablet.

I should add, I have all three … (thus I'm a squinty eyed impresser of people in pubs … not really )

Most of my computer work is done on PC's … with three monitors, so lots of space and kind on the eye. Of course I'm an old fart now … but there's f*** all wrong with my eyes.
Old 12th April 2020, 20:48

I couldn't live without my laptop and couldn't live with a PC! We get issued "bulletproof" Dells evry few years. I got to keep the previous one and it works fine. Way back in the 80's, I started working with Autocad, always with two monitors! I stopped using it in 2006. I could never get used to the Windows version, preferring my ancient Acad 11 with 3d extension, CadOverlay and 3d studio in MS-DOS, Lightning Zoom accelerator and QEMM memory controller. Then there was PC-Link, which someone paid me for a job with, all registered and Pukka. BTW, anyone want to buy a Calcomp 54236 thermal plotter which is taking up space downstairs? Since the terminal died a few years back, I have tried to fire it up but without the terminal, it is nigh impossible - It cost me USD19K!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 13th April 2020, 08:13

#412 & 413 has impressed me. Please tell me why I can manage with only one monitor? What am I missing on the other two?
Would a Lightning Zoom accelerator and QEMM memory controller help me to read the Daily Express online? And would they give me an edge over Paddy Power?
I have made a living over the past 11 years on laptops, mostly Toshibas, and now feel lucky to have a roof over my head. I'm off to PC World when they re-open and will consider looking at property in Foxrock and Shewresbury Road.
Old 13th April 2020, 11:16

Bob's remarks about schoolchildren treating PC's and laptops with less than proper care and attention reminded me of a colleague at a previous employer who was the proud recipient of one of the first laptops supplied by our employer. It looked very smart with its light grey keyboard and case. After a few months of use in his office and out on the road, the keyboard was rather grubby.

One Friday evening when my colleague was out shopping with his good lady, their 7 year old daughter thought she would please her Daddy by cleaning up his computer. When she saw the grubby marks on the light grey keys, she proceeded to try and clean them up. Not having much success with a damp cloth, she then prised them all off and washed them in a bowl at the kitchen sink.
When my colleague and his wife got back home...……...
Old 13th April 2020, 13:45

The reason for more than one monitor is purely a question of space. A lot of software is giving you a real time display, and yes you could scrunch it all onto one Monitor for sure, but the detail and information is lost because of the small size.
This pix is a single computer running three monitors, arranged so that the Mouse cursor flows up and to the right from the main screen to extended screens. That way each section of the software can be split between the monitors and kept at a nice comfortably observable size. Imagine all this squeezed onto one screen (you could to that if you had a 50 inch monitor I suppose, but you'd have to sit in another room to use it … )

For interest the software is SDRConsole running off an Airspy HF + SDR (a radio about the size of a Swan Vestas matchbox which covers an enormous frequency span of 2 GHz, all the controls being put in place by the computer software … hence SDR = Software Defined Radio.)

Bear in mind this is in real time and when you're struggling with a weak signal, these displays are very useful and wouldn't be anywhere near as good squeezed into one screen.

One monitor is fine if yer just reading a newspaper. I've yet to see a laptop that was worth a shit when it comes to SDR unless you can extend the screens, however, having said that my old Toshiba Quosmio has a VGA and HDMI output so I can have two extended monitors on it, which makes the inbuilt 17" screen a bit naff, somewhere to park a newspaper maybe …

(Of course there maybe some old timers out there who yearn for the days of a black and white 9 inch 405 line television receiver … but they should have all been taken out back and shot years ago.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitors.jpg (192.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by BobClay; 13th April 2020 at 14:07.
Old 13th April 2020, 17:39

Well maybe not quite the 405 line BBC only job but I certainly wish my sky box would not show me the HD channels when an SD option is available. Just possibly for those with 'home cinemas' but quite unnecessary for those of us with just a 'large screen'. Utterly without benefit and limits my recording capacity.

I do know someone with a truly huge Bang and Olufsen TV which has a hydraulic lift screen, his previous flat, newishly built, could not have taken the floor load so he moved to Ramsey. It is best viewed at a distance of several miles, Snaefell would be about right.

(So perhaps just outback for a little light birching.....Please...)
Old 13th April 2020, 18:20

I am guilty of the above myself. 65" TV with ultra HD, which is fed from Sky Q and an Amazon Prime stick. I rent the TV from the village shop and the surround cinema sound system is fed via an optic fibre.

The nearest cinema is 30 miles away (this is North Cornwall !!) and that's my feeble excuse for such luxuries. This lockdown has caused me to get on Netflix on top of all this and I'm starting to dream through various displays, a sort of "It's a Square World" scenario.

Ahhh sod it … why not ?

Last edited by BobClay; 13th April 2020 at 18:22.
Old 13th April 2020, 20:17

Yes, Bob, but aren't the new televisions and HD cable boxes marvellous pieces of kit!

"Way back", in 93-95, I managed to get my hands on a small "video" output box for the main 3D Studio computer. We could output the animations at 320x200, but had to adjust the "gamma" settings as the super VGA (1024,768) reds were incompatible with cideo colours. I remember "all nighters" to generate the 24 fps for a decent animation, mostly projects "flying together" and flyovers. We did howver produce a completely digital users manual for some trailer borne water treatment equipment and offered a video manual to General Motors for end users. Nothing ever came of the latter, but my current car came with a CD manual which can be played on the onboard video system. The water treatment manual was turned over to the end user on 36 HD 3.25" floppies! No such thing as "memory sticks" then, but there was lots of talk of "crystal memories"!

During last year's Rugby World Cup, I was all set up at 03:45 with a six pack to watch the All Blacks. My telly was a 36" HD LG which I had won in a christmas dinner raffle at work. Well, after ten minutes, the telly packed up. Total panic ensued! In the end, I hooked up my daughter's ancient "no mark" 14" CRT screen via the coaxial antenna connection. The cable box read the telly and characteristics and VOILA! EUREKA! and some more, I could watch two tiny ant armies battle it out, even though the original signal was HD!!

Oh, I wasn't going to buy a new telly but when I saw an offer for a HiSense 43" UHD with Roku incorporated for approx. GBP152, I could not say no. Set up was all guided by the telly. I watched Andrea Bocelli in Milan yesterday on You Tube, enjoy Netflix, VoD (JoJo Rabbit this week) from the cable company and can view my 28MP SLR camera images from a chip. Absolutely brillian piece of kit which, at it's price, I would have been a fool to not snap up.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 13th April 2020, 21:00

Ah Ha the old 3.553.250 : have I come across that before? Is it MHz or Mbits. perhaps MPa or the temperature of an evening G&T with 2 ice cubes negat lemon.
3 screens of A-Level physics is more than I could take, best selection, screen 1--- You Tube of a B&W VT2BF; screen 2-------Paddy Power odds on greyhound racing and screen 3 ----Dads Army. I'm surviving Lockdown but am considering putting screen 2 onto the MNOPF investments as I rely on them for victuals or vittels. Any drop and ES will be on BOT rations.

Last edited by Engine Serang; 13th April 2020 at 21:10. Reason: Unable to spell.
Old 13th April 2020, 23:12

My brother used to program on an Apple II, using a tiny television screen tucked down by his left knee and facing upwards. Looked like a penance to me.

I am tempted to go all "You were lucky---" but I haven't the heart right now.
Old 13th April 2020, 23:36

You mean: "Aye, when I were't lad we ad to carve a tablet from the horn of tut stegosaurus, but we were appy !!! Bluddy kids today, they knorr nout !!"
Old 12th August 2020, 21:44

Kiss of death?
Our Canadian cousins have tried to breathe new life into 'the old ship' - At first glance a certain book by Mary Shelley comes to mind .
Old 13th August 2020, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm G View Post
Prison slang 'Pontoon' is a 21 month sentence.
And if you catch a Full House?
Old 13th August 2020, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
And if you catch a Full House?
It's the Royal Flush that you need to worry about.
Aka - shat on from a great height.