Go Back   Shipping History > Swinging The Lamp (Off Topic) > Aviation

DH Sea Hornet to be built in NZ

Old 8th October 2017, 13:57

DH Sea Hornet to be built in NZ

Just announced by one of our aircraft restoration company's here in Auckland - they have purchased the only existing remains of a DH Sea Hornet, and will build a brand new airworthy example of this 480 mph, twin Merlin-powered single-seat fighter. The RN had about 380 built by De Havilland, but all UK examples were supposedly destroyed. Very surprised there is no example at Yeovilton. The biggest problem might just be finding the right and left-handed Merlin 130 and 131 engines and 4-bladed propellers, but nothing seems to be impossible these days.
Skilly
Old 12th October 2017, 09:03

Hi TS from Havelock North ex North shore auckland. I have not googled but my understanding of DH Hornet was that she was a navy version of mosquito and as such would be a two seater. The propellers, left and right pitch, not the engines would be all that was required to balance torque as in a two/four prop ship. Happy to be corrected and in any event the mosquito was one of the most brilliant designs to come out of WW2.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:23

Hi TS,

Suggest you Google the specs for the Sea Hornet. It is totally different from a DH98 Mosquito. The Merlins have been severely modified in way of the auxiliaries to drastically reduce the frontal area so the nacelles are much smaller than a Mossie. There are still a set of concrete moulds in the UK for the Hornet fuselage and they are far smaller and more streamlined than the Mossie moulds. The engines are identical left & right hand, but one has a different gear case on the front for the extra idler gear in the reduction train so the prop rotation can be reversed. The 130 Series Merlins for this aircraft will be practically impossible to find as only the RN used them, plus the one aircraft that escaped to Spartan Air Services. I was looking to buy a 105 Series Merlin from an Aussie Lincoln bomber last year, but gradually discovered that things were different from a Merlin XX or 65, and the overhaul bits were nearly 'unobtainium'!
The Hornet was always intended to be a single-seater, and the pilot almost sits on it rather than in it. Suggest you Google the specs & history - will save my fingers getting worn!
Cheers,
Skilly

Last edited by Tony Skilton; 13th October 2017 at 02:33.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:32

Good one mate , I could have googled but then would not have learned from what your reply said. I will google now but is it not indicative of this age that we can find out everything we want to know without actually communicating with someone. So no harm done and good on ya. Regards.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:38

You will get far more enjoyment reading up on the Hornet than sitting in front of the tellie watching 'Coro St'!

Enjoy,

Skilly
Old 12th October 2017, 21:51

Tony, I have been Coro free for sixteen months since I left Browns bay. No idea who's banging who or who's has gone gender bending. I reckon to save money they could employ a coloured bi-sexual semi invalid alcoholic and get rid of the rest. OOPs off topic sorry admin.
Old 16th October 2017, 11:34

Hi again TS,

Those Merlins for the Hornet are 2070 hp each, whereas the Mossie Merlins were only about 1400 hp for the early models, going up to 1640 hp each for the later ones, so the smaller Hornet has a lot more Hp (wouldn't like to be paying the fuel bill!).

New Year most years I seem to end up in Breadlebane Ave in your neck of the woods to catch up with old friends. What vessels have you come ashore from?

Cheers,

Skilly
Old 16th October 2017, 21:25

sending you a PM Tony as I'm off topic again. RG.
Old 8th December 2017, 13:00

I have just listened to an address by Paul McSweeney, the aircraft owner. He has the engines, undercarriage, and many other bits & pieces, plus a full set of very clear drawings of the aircraft. Shouldn't be a problem to build then!